Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I made the two hour drive to Woodcraft in Hurst, Tx. I didn't catch the name of the man that helped me but I owe him a huge thanks. I bought the guide bushing for my router needed to make dovetail joints and he gave me a ton of tips. It only took me a couple of hours to get it spot on. I'll be using that jig for a ton of joints on my chest of drawers. After seeing how strong the joint holds with 3/4 pine I've decided to just use the 3/4 on the sides instead of trying to come up with some 1/2 in. I think the very small loss of space inside the drawers is worth the extra strength that the thicker wood will provide. (plus it looks really tough):laughing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
jargo432 said:
This morning I made the two hour drive to Woodcraft in Hurst, Tx. I didn't catch the name of the man that helped me but I owe him a huge thanks. I bought the guide bushing for my router needed to make dovetail joints and he gave me a ton of tips. It only took me a couple of hours to get it spot on. I'll be using that jig for a ton of joints on my chest of drawers. After seeing how strong the joint holds with 3/4 pine I've decided to just use the 3/4 on the sides instead of trying to come up with some 1/2 in. I think the very small loss of space inside the drawers is worth the extra strength that the thicker wood will provide. (plus it looks really tough):laughing:
I went to rockler in Richardson for the first time on Saturday and they showed me their router jog for dovetails and explained in detail how to use it. He showed me some pretty neat half blind dovetail demos they did in the store. If you get a chance to go to rockler it is definitely worth the drive. They are extremely helpful and seemed to have a little more selection of stuff than woodcraft. I do like woodcraft too and will probably go there more often when they open their new location that will be 5 minutes from my house. Rockler also demos the tools and jigs for the customers every now and then. Post some pictures of your dovetails I want to see. I still haven't made and but want to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
jargo432 said:
This morning I made the two hour drive to Woodcraft in Hurst, Tx. I didn't catch the name of the man that helped me but I owe him a huge thanks. I bought the guide bushing for my router needed to make dovetail joints and he gave me a ton of tips. It only took me a couple of hours to get it spot on. I'll be using that jig for a ton of joints on my chest of drawers. After seeing how strong the joint holds with 3/4 pine I've decided to just use the 3/4 on the sides instead of trying to come up with some 1/2 in. I think the very small loss of space inside the drawers is worth the extra strength that the thicker wood will provide. (plus it looks really tough):laughing:
One of the advantages (a short list) of living in the northeast: I have 3 woodcrafts within 40 minutes of my house, and one less than 10 minutes away. Your sales guys are probably a lot friendlier though.
 

·
Pain in the A$$
Joined
·
1,904 Posts
Marine04 said:
new location that will be 5 minutes from my house.
railaw said:
I have 3 woodcrafts within 40 minutes of my house, and one less than 10 minutes away.
If I had a Rockler or Woodcraft that close if be broke. It's bad enough with a Grizzly and (2) exotic hardwood stores within 35 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Burb said:
If I had a Rockler or Woodcraft that close if be broke. It's bad enough with a Grizzly and (2) exotic hardwood stores within 35 miles.
My woodcraft and rockler are about 15-20 minutes away. I have a lowes and home depot 3 minutes away and I'm usually hanging around them everyday but they don't sell much. The woodcraft by me is supposed to have their new store open this weekend and will be 5 minutes away so looks like I'll have a new hang out lol
 

·
Pain in the A$$
Joined
·
1,904 Posts
info said:
Me 0. I have Internet
I spend alot more $$ in person than online. While I see a great value in purchasing online, I still prefer to go to a store and checkout the item before purchasing it. There are many things I would already own if I there was a store much closer.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,491 Posts
I buy everything on line because it cost too much in gas, besides I don’t think there are any places like that anywhere near here. Umm I guess I’m do a search and see where the closest place is.

Update: Well I'm surprised but there is a Woodcraft a 100 miles away. Its a little too far, but maybe I'll find another reason to make the trip.:shifty:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
I have two woodcraft stores close to me. I believe woodcraft is a franchise model while Rockler stores are all company owned.

Sadly of the three stores close to me (2 woodcraft, 1 rockler) the woodcraft that is furthest away has the best selection.

I can actually go to Hida Tool as it is about 5 miles from our house. the Japanwoodworker would have been the closest store but it closed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,801 Posts
I used to live 3 blocks from Japan Woodworker and wasn't a woodworker then...didn't even know it was there...probably a good thing. I now have a Woodcraft and 2 Rocklers within 45 minutes of home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
One of the advantages (a short list) of living in the northeast: I have 3 woodcrafts within 40 minutes of my house, and one less than 10 minutes away. Your sales guys are probably a lot friendlier though.
I've been to the one in Manchester - where else are they?

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Maylar said:
I've been to the one in Manchester - where else are they?

Dave
There's on in west Springfield and one in Milford. From the middle of the state that's close to equidistant.

Of course, if you're talking tool stores in ct, you can't leave out brass city records in Waterbury... And tools-plus, the online retailer is in Waterbury as well, where you can get their pretty good prices with no shipping charges.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
There's on in west Springfield and one in Milford. From the middle of the state that's close to equidistant.

Of course, if you're talking tool stores in ct, you can't leave out brass city records in Waterbury... And tools-plus, the online retailer is in Waterbury as well, where you can get their pretty good prices with no shipping charges.
Actually, it's Norwalk not Milford. About an hr from me (I'm in Wallingford). I'd like to visit tools-plus but their hours are a bit limiting for a working man. Maybe some Saturday morning.

I visited the Manchester WC store for the first time a week ago. I've been away from my woodworking hobby for way too long, and the prices of both tools and wood are scary compared to 10 years ago. Lovely store though... I'll go back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Maylar said:
Actually, it's Norwalk not Milford. About an hr from me (I'm in Wallingford). I'd like to visit tools-plus but their hours are a bit limiting for a working man. Maybe some Saturday morning.

I visited the Manchester WC store for the first time a week ago. I've been away from my woodworking hobby for way too long, and the prices of both tools and wood are scary compared to 10 years ago. Lovely store though... I'll go back.
You are right. I haven't gone to that one anyway since manchester is closer. I sometimes work in Waterbury so it's easy for me to get to those stores. I do love woodcraft but if an item is also sold in some other store it's usually cheaper elsewhere.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top