Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a family vacation to Maine and Massachusetts a few weeks back. Of course I had to do a little tool shopping while I was there. The tool hunting is pretty easy in the northeast And i passed by quite a few places where I could have spent hours.

Stopped by the Lie Nielsen tool works an played with some nice tools.

image-1908894301.jpg

The folks there were very nice and tolerated my loitering very patiently. I feel a lot better about parting with my money when it goes to people that care.

I found a nice turn of the century d7 in an old barn turned antique store for $4. I had to take the handle off to get it in my suitcase.

image-2434130470.jpg

image-1687475599.jpg

It cleaned up nice and is as sharp as new. I love the handle on this saw, and its the first one I found like it.

image-4071072948.jpg

image-2836384869.jpg

We also got a chance to visit Plymouth plantation and I got to see their hand tool craft shop. The craftsman wasn't there but I saw some of his work in the gift store. Very inspiring.

My wife is great for letting my hobby eat up some of our trip, so I've promised some lobster float shaped birdhouses.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I just came back from a Maine trip with the family and it didn't occur to me to g by there; for a moment I thought it a missed opportunity until I looked at the map and noted our trip considerably further east did not go by there. Detours measured in hours are generally not advisable with a 7 month old in the car (not to mention his brother and sister).

We passed some "yard sales" up there but they all appeared to be of a semi permanent variety. I.e. we've got some junk in our yard and you can buy something for a dollar if you want.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kids and tool shopping are a tough mix. My 4 year old daughter gets bored and wants to pick everything up. But, since we've had a few outings together, she'll actually point out saws and planes at junk stores.

There was a place called the Tool Barn in Bar Harbor, Me that was a galoot's paradise. They also have a sister store in Liberty, Me that I didn't get to. They both have online stores as well. I picked up a 3 date #3 bailey, and some auger bits to fill out my set. I would have splurged, but I was flying and had to beat the overweight baggage fee.

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
If any of you "knotheads" make it to the "downeast" area y'all better give me a heads up!!
Coffee's on & the beer's cold so drop on by for a face to face. :yes:

..Jon..

·
Registered
406 Posts
amckenzie4 said:
If anyone is going up to Maine, I highly recommend a trip to the Liberty Tool in Liberty Maine. Give yourself at least a few hours, and send your wallet and non-woodworking family off to do something else. It's a fun place, but dangerous to your bank account...
Argh! I wish I hadn't read this thread. I went RIGHT PAST there, and had no idea. I think I've seen a video if the interior of the place and it was quite impressive. Oh well, I probably saved some cash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts