Woodworking Talk banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
aIf you take a short straight edge and continue the rake line of the skirt on the base until it hits the height of the base minus the part you ripped off then square down, you will get the shape of a transition piece.

Make this the same thickness as the skirt. Now all you need is a board as thick as the skirt (or thinner, you can shim out) and as tall as the flat part of the base. Now you just run the ripped pieces on top of everything. The step will be different but it will be the same on the skirt and base.

Make sense?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I also just want to say that I have newfound respect for carpenters who can retrofit the entire skirt board. I had trouble just doing one step. :laughing:

·
where's my table saw?
29,156 Posts
nice fix

It's not even noticeable and there is no variation in the offset from the drywall. Good idea on tapering the sliver....bet that took a while!

Reactions: leungw

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Took me almost two to three hours.... :eek:

I tried scribing, and the piece didn't fit at all. I realized later that the bullnose for the landing is not perfectly horizontal. It slopes down almost 10 degrees and messed up the mark for scribing. Lesson learned.

I spent most of the time on making a tablesaw jig to do the tapered cut.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts