Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the windows in my house have sills that extend 2" past the window on either side. I would like to add traditional 2.25" trim to match my door trim. If I use this trim, there will be a 1/4" over hang. Any idea how to extend the sills to properly allow for a 2.25" trim? Or could there be another option for trim around the windows?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
1.) If the sills are easily removable, replace them and make new ones with the proper "ears"
2.) If not, you could pad out the inside of the jambs to allow the casingto move in.
3.) ..or use a narrower casing

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Way more often than not we'll do tcleve's #1......

But if you're a glutton for punishment,you can plane the front of existing sill to a 90*....then carefully saw any profile off "ears" to a 90*....now you can add any additional wood/profile to get spec'd length.BW

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks tcleve4911. I think I'll replace the sills. I just finished some custom window treatments so padding the inside is unfortunately no longer an option.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Way more often than not we'll do tcleve's #1......

But if you're a glutton for punishment,you can plane the front of existing sill to a 90*....then carefully saw any profile off "ears" to a 90*....now you can add any additional wood/profile to get spec'd length.BW
.......especially if they are going to be painted:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would try to remove them and make new ones. It would give a house a nice facelift, I think. Then you could install a nice set of window treatments or blinds too. Give it a nice modern look!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Gregg,

I ended up packing the inside of the windows with 3/4" pine which enabled me to move the molding inward to reveal the sill ears. It gave it a great new finish look.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Best way is to trim out a sill along with rest of the window to avoid making the bad look. Start with the top of the window affixing miter-cut corners and then hang the same under the sill to tie it together.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very cool!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts