Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make a fan shaped trellis for a climbing plant. I will be using strips of wood about 1/4" x 3/4" and will need to splice them because the pieces I have are not long enough. They will be attached at the base and bent outward at the top into a fan shape with horizontal stringers to hold the bent pieces in place. What is a good method for splicing the long pieces that will be strong enough to hold under the stress of bending?

Also I want to use cherry because I have a lot of it. What is the best thing to treat it with that will withstand the weather? Any design ideas or photos of designs would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
26,375 Posts
I don't think there is a good way to splice the wood together and I really don't think cherry will hold up well in the weather. If it were me I would purchase some pressure treated pine so it would be long enough and it would last better.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I made some cheap trellis for the wife not too long ago. It was actually my first 'project' and the first time I used my great grandfather's table saw I restored. I bought the 5 1/2" wide 6' long pressure treated fence boards and ripped them into 1/2" pieces IIRC. Made six straight trellis (probably about 2.5-3' wide) and a seventh, fan shaped one out of scraps. All for less than $10. Mounted them to the exterior of a horse stall I built now turned potting shed and they're doing great.

For the fan shaped one I simply laid them straight at an angle (did not bend them), so I do not have any advice as far as bending goes if you want that look. For joining longer sections, perhaps build it in two or three (or however many) sections with some of the vertical pieces extending out so they can be attached to the next section's horizontal supports. Like puzzle pieces.

Had the fan piece been the primary objective and not leftover scraps, I probably would have extended the middle vertical piece up a few inches as well as the horizontal supports a few inches on either side. And of course used all the same thickness boards.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I want to make a fan shaped trellis for a climbing plant. I will be using strips of wood about 1/4" x 3/4" and will need to splice them because the pieces I have are not long enough. They will be attached at the base and bent outward at the top into a fan shape with horizontal stringers to hold the bent pieces in place. What is a good method for splicing the long pieces that will be strong enough to hold under the stress of bending?

Also I want to use cherry because I have a lot of it. What is the best thing to treat it with that will withstand the weather? Any design ideas or photos of designs would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.
I would use pressure treated pine and if you don't like that there's always white oak or maybe some locust.

I know you said you wanted to use cherry but I'll gladly trade you some pressure treated pine or white oak for your cherry:yes::yes:.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts