Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a treehouse for my daughter and friends. I'll use this thread for the planning and building of it with pictures along the way. Feel free to jump in and point out the various mistakes I will be making along the way.

The tree: It's a tree which is begging for a treehouse to be built in it. About a foot off the ground the tree splits into five trunks. One trunk is a bit larger then the rest and I'm using it as my "main" trunk. I'll bolt one of my joists directly to this tree and use sliding holders on the other trunks. I'm thinking I may not need any posts from the ground but can cantilever as needed back to the tree.

My first instinct is to use posts and not connect to the tree but it's a treehouse and should be supported by the tree, right? And I'd like to minimize the posts into the ground because I'll have to mow around them. I have enough trimming to do.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are very nice! I'm looking for ideas now to ensure I don't harm the tree (more then I need to) as I'm building. I know one thing is to not put things INTO the tree too close together as the tree rejects the area and dies. My design will have to take that into account.

My first step is to map out the trunks at the heigth I want to build so I can start laying things out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For a bit I'm going to focus on how I will be attaching the treehouse to the tree itself. I think I am going to use metal brackets that I will design and have my dad make for me. I will price the Garnier Limb products to see if it would be cost effective (considering time, effort, etc) but it appears that by the time I purchased the products and the bit I might just make things myself.

I'll probably use angle iron bent to the proper angle with plate steel or a strut to add great strength. The resting surface for the angle iron should allow the branch to move beneath the platform and relieve the stress that occurs. I'll have one point fixed and if I use all branches, four points that can slide.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
well if could figure out how to post a pick on this page I was going to show yall a treehouse/playground I built for me grandkids.

when I click on the insert image icon it is asking for a http:. the pic I want to insert is in my home computer.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
trying one more time

treehouse or playground, what ever

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi WonderMonkey I seen on DIY or one of those TV shows where try were building a tree house and they put bolts thru the tree. And did say any thing about it harming the tree. But have fun with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts