Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was playing around in the shop this weekend cutting a few dovetails and decided to turn it into a little project. The sides and tree are oak and the base, lid, and inside lining is cherry.

I sketched the tree onto an oak board then cut it out using my scroll saw and then finished carving with my dremel.

Just thought I would share it as it turned out to be a cool little box.

·
Registered
799 Posts
He said he machined it out via a scroll saw and then shaped with a dremel....and I agree that it's hard to tell just from looking at it. Very very nice.

Chris, how do you open the top? Do you just grab the tree trunk? Did you glue the tree-board down after scroll sawing it out, and before dremeling? What drill point did you use on the dremel for shaping the wood like that? That's a really neat idea.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I carved slightly under at the trunk of the tree to give a good handle to lift the top off.

Good questions as to when I carved the tree with the dremel. I carved it before gluing to the top. There are a few places that the limbs actually life off of the lid and I could not have done this by gluing first. The problem with carving first is that the surface is irregular and not easy to clamp down while the glue dries. The solution I found was to apply the glue to the back side of the tree, set it in place on the lid and then cover it with plastic wrap for protection. I then placed it in a bucket and poured pea gravel on top for even weight over the entire surface. It worked great...

The bid I used is a wood carving bit that Highland Woodworking carries....I don't remember the brand but they are great. If you look close you can see it in the picture below.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
That is really cool. An outside the box project if I may.... But seriously, from tinkering with dovetails to creating some beautiful art, thanks for posting.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
He said he machined it out via a scroll saw and then shaped with a dremel....and I agree that it's hard to tell just from looking at it.
OK, there are two possibilites here. First one is that I'm blind as a bat and second one is that he snuck back in and added a description after my post. Yeah that was it. The second one. Yeah. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :icon_smile:

Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts