Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just joined some WA Karri boards (a very hard Australian hardwood) together however there are a lot of very deep cracks in the wood. I'm reluctant to use putty alone to fill these as i fear the putty will crack or the cracks will open up further. I've considered filling the cracks with wood glue. Does anyone have a better alternative or more suitable filling material.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have used epoxy, mixed with fine dust from the wood for filler. This works well if you are not planning on staining, which you are probably not since you are using an exotic. It may take 2 applications depending on the size of the cracks.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I personally like to use a casting resin to fill in cracks and holes. This is a clear resin so you need to stain down into the crack so you don't have unstained wood showing. My personal opinion is if you fill with something else it usually won't stain correctly. You can stain the crack then fill with casting resin and sand down flush with the top and when you put your final finish on the crack will clear up and you will be able to see down into the wood.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
ooooh I like that tip Dave. I am going to have to deal with this issue when I start work on some bookmatched mulberry i have set aside for our dining room table. My avatar on CT is one of the Mulberry slabs that will be used for it.
thanks for the tip. If this worked I added a picture of it. The color and grain cannot be seen to thier vivid and striking extent on thiese here puters but you get the idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks Dave,

I've always used epoxy, but I never even thought of casting resin.....

Great tip :yes: :yes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Big Dave
excellent tip i've heard of people using fillers but didn't know what they consisted of

·
handyman
8 Posts
I've used the epoxys and wood glue with fine sanding dust before but not the casting resin,if you are not staining will it give the look of a poly or oil finish in the crack?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would be curious how strong the casting resin is? I had to repair cracks in my pool table legs and the staff at Rockler pointed me towards the epoxy. The epoxy is holding up nicely, but looks like crap. Little late now but always nice to learn new things for future reference.

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts