Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the 5th one of these that I have made. Learned something each time. This is a solid ash lid (top and sides) and 3/4 ash LC plywood for the main body. The square corners are poplar. Yea I know, weird combination of wood...

No hardware on the main body, just glue and a very tight press fit.

Tools used = dado in the table saw, a drill and my RAS. All hand sanded, then 7 coats of polyurethane inside and out.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
That is a beautiful piece of work. I would personally not be able to put trash in it cause i wouldn't want to tarnish it. But again, i love your attention to detail and your craftsmanship is amazing

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a beautiful piece of work.
... But again, i love your attention to detail and your craftsmanship is amazing
Thank you. I don't know about amazing though...

BigHUGE201 said:
I would personally not be able to put trash in it cause i wouldn't want to tarnish it.
Nice piece of woodworking... I think I'd have problems putting trash in there too...
Thanks.

Of course trash bags are used, and the multiple coats of poly make it easy to clean.

Lesson learned on this one... that beautiful 12" wide ash board used for the lid worked fine for a couple of weeks, but then it eventually cupped. It's not too bad, but it's not flat either. Did the multiple layers of poly induce this somehow? I'm guessing a few 3 to 4 inch wide boards, edge glued would not have had this problem... Gotta get a jointer....

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
rkmcswain, why wait until you have a jointer? (Not that I think you shouldn't have an excuse to have a jointer... everyone needs an excuse for a jointer) I do all my strips on a tablesaw and haven't had any issues with my joints not being tight enough. You can't see the glue lines on any of the projects I've done this way and I rarely even do any finishing of the edges after sawing them.

·
Registered
178 Posts
rkmcswain, That is a beautiful piece of work.

You treat your trash well, :yes:

Great job and a great finish

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts