Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to build a table so the kids could play with their train set and cars. We were gonna buy one but it was going to cost way too much. 1 sheet of 3/4" plywood and a couple 2X4 legs. Kids love it.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's a great idea! What did you use for the "roads", some kind of carpet? I have a store-bought model and my boys played on that thing all the time. Over the years I've had to add several structural reinforcements!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Is there a reason for the legs? Can't the frame just sit on the floor?

Just wondering. Might be a future build for a grandson.

Jon

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to get it off the floor. I built my son a box on wheels awhile ago for all the train tracks and trains. I built the table tall enough for the box to fit under it. And now the wife wants me to build a few more so we can put all his toys in it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My son loved it so much he actually fell asleep on top. Quite a shock to see him on it when I went to work this morning.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is there a reason for the legs? Can't the frame just sit on the floor?

Just wondering. Might be a future build for a grandson.

Jon
That height is key for little dudes/dudettes to play while standing, so they can reach across and rotate around the table to make full use of all the space. Also, some will have drawers under the table top to store cars & stuff.

·
Registered
212 Posts
That height is key for little dudes/dudettes to play while standing, so they can reach across and rotate around the table to make full use of all the space. Also, some will have drawers under the table top to store cars & stuff.
The thing I saw was the little dudes/dudettes actually on the table surface and wondered about the table being on legs. I can also that table being used in the future for the electric cars and trains sets.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts