Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sitting on my can for a year I thought I might go back to work part time. I can make around $1220 a month. Called a shop the other day looking for partime work and they want full time. Called another fulltime.

Everybody wants part time to eliminate benefits. I'm holding out for someone to ask what I'll work for....minimum wage....Guess I'll have to see if Walmarts needs a greeter..

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
in my area, Disney is our biggest employer. they just permanently furloughed (let go)
9,000 people. that does not include another 8-10 thousand in the hospitality industry.
so needless to say, looking for any kind of job in Central Florida would be fruitless.
hope you can find something that you are comfortable with and to use your skills and talents.
Amazon and other online people are hiring now for the Christmas Season.
including drivers for UPS, FEDEX, etc.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm out to make fishing and poker money..but Burger King is hiring part time...

·
The Nut in the Cellar
1,094 Posts
Amazon is opening a new Distribution Center and a new Fulfillment Center in two of the suburbs here. These are roughly 2,000 or more permanent positions and do not include any holiday hires that UPS and FedEx are hiring here. Local shop owners here are having trouble with the supply chain, not needing customers. They can't get the goods to sell. The stores have racks upon shelves of non-available stuff. Every trucking company around here is screaming for drivers and most of the manufacturing plants "now hiring" signs out front.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There up here but I don't want to drive anymore. Want something local and easy...

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hoping to wrk in the shop making face frames and drawers. I can work Monday, Wed and Friday till 12 and all day Tuesday and Thursday. All day...Disnt think that was bad.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Is there much building in your area? I was in the same position as you. Ended up a local builder asked me to work for him part time. 3 days a week. I do quality control on new homes and handle the new home warranties. Outside of maybe adjusting cabinet doors or trimming a door I don't do much work. Just schedule the subs. I work for a small local builder, but all the nationwide companies have these positions. Lennar, D.R. Horton, Ryan.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Uber, Lyft and the like are all constantly looking for part time drivers. I don't, but a friend of mine who was "downsized" out of his job drives for them both. He makes pretty good money, only driving evenings through the weekends.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts