Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
Need some opinions on a top shelf I'm wanting to add to a project I'm working on. This was an open breezeway but we decided to close it in and I'm real close to being done but was thinking about adding a ledge or shelf at the top some we could put knick knacks on. The shelf would run the hole length of the room. What you see in the pic is a 1x6 with a 1 in trim piece on the front and the shelf would also need some bracing from the under side . All of the trim on both side is cedar and was also wondering about what stain or paint to use. Is there a way to post more than one pic at a time because I sure can't figure it out. If more pics are need please let me know.

Thanks
Sid

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
I use Photobucket to post my pics. Then I just copy and paste the IMG Code into my post here. As many as I want.
For your shelf I'd recommend a Crown Moulding effect for a support for the shelf.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the relies. The crown molding and small corbels are both good ideas. The only problem with the crown molding is all the trim is rough cedar sanded just a bit to get rid of splinters and I don't know what that would look like. Has anybody every used the vinegar steel wool trick for making new wood look old I'm thinking about doing that to all the trim.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The vinegar steel wool trick works very good but the color is to dark for what I'm looking for I'm thinking I need to go with a natural color any suggestion on a good brand that will seal and protect the wood. I'm still trying to figure out how to post more than one pic at a time using the file attachment on it his site.

Thanks

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.