Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,
just finishing up builting some kitchen drawers. Cabinets are really old and need to be replaced in due time. Thinking about slowly tackling the project, really no rush. I am planning on doing a few test cabinets with cheaper materials to get the feel. Just wondering in you can built professional looking cabinets without a planer, jointer, and router table? I do have a router, tablesaw, and could make a router table for the router if needed. I would like to do raised panels. I will buy the kreg pocket jig, but just cant justify buying jointer/planer now. A few more questions will follow. Thanks in advance!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Depends on the materials you want to use. If you use plywood for the cabinets and if you have a lumber supplier, they will usually do the jointing and planing for you if you give them a cut list. You can make an edge jointer using a router and straight edge. For raised panels you really should have a large router and table or a shaper, as some of the bits are large. Not recommended to use hand held router with raised panel bits. You need to decide if you are going to solid panel doors frame and panel doors. If you use solid panels there is a router bit you can use with a template that will make them look like raised panels. Hope this helps.

GHarvey

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
There are a lot of ways to skin a cat, but I wouldn't want to attempt this one without a basic router table, which is easy to build. I'd also be inclined to get a hand plane or two if don't plan to have a jointer or planer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you are planning to paint your cabinets I think you can do it. You can make raised panels using a table saw. The easiest way is to build a sled and run your panels through vertically with the blade at an angle but you can even make them "coved" by running your stock across the blade at an angle.

·
where's my table saw?
29,197 Posts
If you not stuck on raised panels...

Here are some other ideas:
You could consider frosted glass, smoked glass, hammered metal or 1/4" plywood any of which could fit in a rabbet or groove on the inside of the doors. A mitered joint with a spline can be done on a table saw with a jig. You could also make half lap joints on the TS.
The Shaker style doors will have panels inserted in the face frames in the 1/4" groove to goes all the way around the inside perimeter. The corners should be half lapped for strength. and any middle dividers as well. Here is a link that show Shaker style doors:
http://www.wellborn.com/charactermap...haractermaple/
You should search online for most of your design ideas, rather than posting here since it's your personal preference that matters. We'll tell you how to make it once we know what you want to make. Shaker style is good, since it's all flat stock with no profiles. Making the half laps is best done with a dado set on the table saw or a radial arm saw. A router will also work.The grooves can be done on the table saw.
So it's pretty much a piece of cake once you get the stock cut to width or if you're not using dimensioned lumber already milled to thickness, usually 3/4 ".

The beveled glass door have mitered corners with splines. Well, that'll do for now. :thumbsup: good luck, bill
Attached Thumbnails

·
Better than some...
108 Posts
You can build great cabinets with a chop saw and a table saw. You can always have door shop make the cabinet doors, and all lumber yards I've used have all sorts of various widths of solid 1X stock that's planed and jointed. This is how I've always done it.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
Depends on the materials you want to use. If you use plywood for the cabinets and if you have a lumber supplier, they will usually do the jointing and planing for you if you give them a cut list. You can make an edge jointer using a router and straight edge. For raised panels you really should have a large router and table or a shaper, as some of the bits are large. Not recommended to use hand held router with raised panel bits. You need to decide if you are going to solid panel doors frame and panel doors. If you use solid panels there is a router bit you can use with a template that will make them look like raised panels. Hope this helps.

GHarvey
A router is certainly not necessary for raised panels. Plain panels can be cut on a table saw very easily. I have done several projects this way. Not as fancy as router cut, but perfectly usable.

George

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
29,197 Posts
Hey there George

To delete a picture how about this?
Go to "manage attachments" and review your attachments, then delete that particular item. :blink: Just a thought.bill

·
Banned
17 Posts
I do all my doors with a handheld router, tablesaw, jig/band saw with the help of a router jig I purchased two years ago. Sorry this jig is not available anymore, but the person you need to contact is John, e-mail [email protected] he is writing a book with all the information you need to build your own jig and more. I have not used my router table since I bought this jig, It's faster, easier and safer then any shaper/router table I've ever used! The results are perfect every time :yes: as you can see from the pictures I've attached, and yes, I know you will never need a rail that small. Have a nice day :thumbsup: And for all you disbelievers, a picture is still worth a thousand words

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts