Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
master sawdust maker
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey gang,

Some of you may have heard or read in the Marking gauge swap thread that a few of us are kicking around the idea of doing another swap.

As of now, there isn't anyone in charge of anything, we are still tossing around ideas to swap. so far here are a few of the ideas.

1. Bow saw ~ the kit is available from Gramercy tools for $25.95 (pins and 3 blades) $49.95 for pins, blades and knobs)

2. wooden hand plane to include router plane(s)
3. push stick(s)
4. dovetail templets
5. back saw
6. marking knife
7. panel gauge
8. pair of skew chisels
9. try square(s)
10. miter / bevel gauge
11. winding sticks
12. Luther clamps
13. bench hooks
14. chute board
15. layout square (christopher schwarz style)
16. kerf master gauge
17. string inlay tool set (circle cutter, straight line cutter, thickness gauge, slicing gauge).

please feel free to add to this list.

Some of the above were suggested by others, and some are ideas that I put down.

All of the rules for this swap will be determined once the item is chosen. I would suspect that it would be similar rules to the marking gauge swap. It seamed that It went rather smoothly and all who participated got their gauge in a timely manor.

Please post if your interested. and please add to the list!

Reactions: tc65

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I'm here :yes:

Thanks for getting the new thread cranked up.

BTW: I guess this means you are volunteering to organize the swap detes.
Lol sure. Why not!
For once I'm glad I was too busy to initiate this thread earlier:laughing::laughing:

Thanks for getting it going!

I was going to add some thoughts on the ideas already posed, but it might be best to wait and see if anyone has other project suggestions before we discuss them.

·
master sawdust maker
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Toss out your ideas. Lets get this ball a rollin!

·
master sawdust maker
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would love to get in on this but Clint Eastwood told me a man has to know his limitations! I know my skill level. I have seen the skill level of many on this site. I am no where near where most of you are. I wouldn't mind trading a project with someone of my skill level because I wouldn't feel as if I were ripping someone off. Has any thought been given to pairing traders of 'like' skill levels?

I'd rate my current skill level as 'advanced-beginner to severely moderate'. To my friends who have no woodworking knowledge, my work is WONDERFUL. To my father in law, a retired cabinet maker, I get 'Did you cut that with a pocket knife'? Then again he is my father in law. :smile:

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I'm ready for another swap. The marking gauge swap was about the best fun I've had here.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
master sawdust maker
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bumpas: we are all here to help! give it a shot. you will never get better if you dont challenge your skills and push them to the limits!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Bumpus: we are all here to help! give it a shot. you will never get better if you dont challenge your skills and push them to the limits!
That which does not kill us might only take off a finger or 2! Once an item is decided on, I'll toss my hat in as well.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I would love to get in on this but Clint Eastwood told me a man has to know his limitations! I know my skill level. I have seen the skill level of many on this site. I am no where near where most of you are. I wouldn't mind trading a project with someone of my skill level because I wouldn't feel as if I were ripping someone off. Has any thought been given to pairing traders of 'like' skill levels?

I'd rate my current skill level as 'advanced-beginner to severely moderate'. To my friends who have no woodworking knowledge, my work is WONDERFUL. To my father in law, a retired cabinet maker, I get 'Did you cut that with a pocket knife'? Then again he is my father in law. :smile:
Edit: I took so long typing this up, two others have already added their pep talk..........

Bumpus, I would rate skill level with the same description you used and I had the same concerns way back when the first mallet swap occurred. I eventually talked myself out of participating in that swap because, as you stated, I didn't want to send someone a sub-par tool and I had never made one before.

I kicked myself in the a** numerous times as I watched the swap unfold. The timing was off for me and I couldn't take part in Mallet Swap II, but when the marking gauge swap started I was definitely in:yes:

Making the marking gauge forced me to stretch my skill level and I ended up making a gauge that I would have really liked to have kept - but I didn't and received a great one in return.

The swaps are not about who can make the best, but more about the different design ideas used and each participant making the best they can with their skills and tools. They are a lot of fun to participate in, but trying something new and learning new skills are as important to me as the tool received in trade.

There are tools on the proposed list right now that fill me with equal amounts of dread and excitement.

With many of them I have no idea where to even start, but with some research - and a little help from some very knowledgeable members here - I know I can build any of the tools listed.

·
master sawdust maker
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That which does not kill us might only take off a finger or 2! Once an item is decided on, I'll toss my hat in as well.
Thats the spirit!!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts