Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
:thumbsup: Looks like a real handy solution Josh.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry, I am not fan on this.
I don't like the idea of a skew chisel & other sharp tools knocking against my shins.

Col

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I am not fan on this.
I don't like the idea of a skew chisel & other sharp tools knocking against my shins.

Col
I'm sure the angle of the picture is skewing the actual placement of the tools. They are hanging beneath the bed and and set back about 8-10 inches behind the tool rest. And I don't know about you but I leave plenty of room between me and the tool rest, which in turn leaves plenty of space between me and the tools. If I was afraid of sharp tools banging against my shims I wouldn't have organized them this way.

To each there own.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That is just my opinion....sorry if you are offended.
So long as you are happy with it that's all that matters....go for it.

Happy turning

Col

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just have mine in a rack behind the lathe; I expect that is what most people do. How is this better? Looks like you would be kicking them all the time.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just have mine in a rack behind the lathe; I expect that is what most people do. How is this better? Looks like you would be kicking them all the time.
That's where mine were previously. But since my lathe now sits in front of a window that wasn't an option. So I came up with this. This was the simplest option for me so I ran with it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looks good but would not work for me as I have to sit when i turn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Personally I don't like either spot to store tools. Putting them behind the lathe, as most do, sets you up for a hazard when reaching over the spinning work. Placing them under the lathe seems clever, but the bending over to get a tool ... Well, I like my tools on a rack to my left near the headstock in front of the lathe. Each to their own I guess. Just say'n.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts