Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The farther and farther I delve into woodworking (I am pretty new to the hobby) I realize I need more and more benches and carts and work surfaces. The latest project I've been working on is a bench for a drill press and woodworking vise (I've never had one before). I got the tools for Christmas and all I needed was another bench.

This design is from a plan from WOOD Magazine with a few modifications for my particular purposes. I am looking for any design additions that you notice I could add before I am at the point of no return. Keep in mind the stand is attached to casters (I am going for the "everything on wheels" approach to a shop) and also I have not attached the top yet. The top will have a hardwood trim all the way around that I don't have on yet and also a hardboard sacrificial top piece that can be replaced. I am looking for ideas on attaching levelers because I won't be moving it too often. I can't quite pin anything down that won't get in the way of the caster movement but I haven't thought long and hard about it. I am also thinking about adding edge banding on the plywood edges of the bottom and adjustable shelf. What do you think? Also, what do you guys do for a finish?

If I have any more questions I will ask them here and post more pics as I progress with the build.

Putting the Panels Together

Attaching Panels

Everything Glued, Screwed, and Bottom Shelf Attached

Adding Adjustable Shelf
You can change shelf placement by locating the cleats in different holes on the pegboard

Adding Feet For Casters

Casters Attached

Top Made
The top has been made however it is NOT attached to the table nor is it centered. It is just sitting there in this picture. I'm thinking 3/4" hardwood banding around the top and it will have replaceable hardboard on top of plywood. The hardboard is not on yet.

·
Registered
834 Posts
That last picture makes the top look like it's bowed. Other then that it looks great!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I noticed that in the picture as well. When I laminated the top I reversed the bows in the plywood and it was straight. I think it's my crappy digital camera but I will definitely check again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Question- Pertaining to the hardboard that will go on top of the plywood top, would you put the hardboard on first then add your hardwood edge banding (bringing it up flush with the top of the hardboard), OR would you put the edge banding on then add hardboard top (laying hardboard over top of edge banding).

I think option 1 will look nicer but option 2 will be easier to replace down the road ( since your not having to "inset" the hardboard)

Hope that made sense.

Thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
Nice cart.

Question- Pertaining to the hardboard that will go on top of the plywood top, would you put the hardboard on first then add your hardwood edge banding (bringing it up flush with the top of the hardboard), OR would you put the edge banding on then add hardboard top (laying hardboard over top of edge banding).
I would mount the hardboard and then the hardwood edge banding. Part of the purpose of the hardwood band is to help prevent the top from getting chipped when hit against the exposed edges. Even if the hardboard is meant to be replaced, no sense in expediting it. It should be pretty simple to get a nice snug fit when you need to replace it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Got a little bit more done over the last week or two. Still have a ways to go but I'm having fun.

Vice Attached

Vice Pads On
I am excited about having a woodworking vice. No more trying to figure out weird ways to use clamps.

Top Layer of Hardboard Goes On

I don't use hand tools often nor do I really know what I'm doing but I have to say I had a great time hand planing the oak edging flush to the hardboard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts