Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently reshaped a bowl gouge (Henry Taylor Kryo) to a fingernail grind. I was trying to mimic a grind on another smaller bowl gouge (1/2 inch Thompson Tool). I think I came pretty close to the grind I wanted but here's the issue....

The tool now has a bit of a serrated edge that I can't seem to get rid of. Which in turn leaves little striations on the wood. What am I doing wrong? Is it difference in tools? (Thompson Tool doesn't have this issue)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Photos would help. Also knowing how you re-ground the shape. Plus what set up you have.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, guys sometimes I don't think of those questions. I use the wolverine grind system. But I have the vari-grind 2 jig for the gouges. I'm a bit unsure if it's used the same as the vari-grind 1.

I did sharpen the tool again this morning. It has improved. I used a much lighter touch while sharpening. I will try to get pictures up later. Tips or suggestions?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here is an excellent video from John Lucas, which helped me back when I had some issues with my sharpening technique:

I think it addresses your specific problem by the way.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an 80 grit wheel and a 120 grit (I believe) they are the wheels that come standard with Woodcrafts slow speed grinder.

Thank you for the link. I will watch them. I enjoy John Lucas' videos.

I need to get pictures up so I can show you more concerns. I will work on the tomorrow (@ work tonight). Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts