Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been casually looking for a scroll saw and happened to be on CL the other night. I found an Excalibur 18" model that looked really nice that I was interested in. In the same post, the seller also had a Performax 16-32 drum sander (before Jet) and he wanted $800 for the pair. Both machines appear to work very well and had seen little use. I picked up both machines with about 100 blades and a few rolls of paper for $650. I'm pretty happy with the addition and now have the problem of finding a place for them in my very crowded shop.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Great score. I'll give you $652...

Mark

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Very nice score indeed. I also just added a drum sander and scroll saw to my list of shop tools, and have been trying to figure out the best layout. Luckily everything in my shop is on wheels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll 3rd the great score. I have a 16/32 drum dander and love it. I've had it quite a while, but if memory serves it was around (if not over) $650 by itself. And an 18" scroll saw is awesome. Mine is about the same - a very old one - so old it requires oil in the sump where the little crankshaft is that makes the blade go up/down.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 30" Excalibur scrollsaw myself. You will love it. I've had mine for 8 years now. They run really smooth.

·
HSpencer
80 Posts
I've heard that you can stand a nickle on it's edge and it won't fall over when the Excaliber Saw is running. I would love to have at least a 16" one. I also read the new ones are now being built in China, which I wish would not be the case. Great buy on your saws and blades!!!
Congratulations and Best Regards
Herb Spencer

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Herb. I'll have to try the nickel test on it. When I got my new table saw last summer, it passed the dime test for me.

I love these slightly older tools that are made in the USA. It's so hard to find much made in the US anymore.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The green painted excaliburs are the ones built overseas and at first, anyway, the quality was questional. The ones that are purple are all made over here and the good ones. They may have improved on their quality control by now, haven't heard.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
geltz61 said:
The green painted excaliburs are the ones built overseas and at first, anyway, the quality was questional. The ones that are purple are all made over here and the good ones. They may have improved on their quality control by now, haven't heard.
How about the black ones?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I ones made here in North America (canada), are made by Somerville, the ones made overseas are by General international.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts