Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,

I hope everyone is well!

I am very very new to this wonderful world of woodworking, and due to my lack of space for a decent shop I require to build wheeled stands for all my tools so they can be easily moved around.

During my design of the first of these I realised I would like to include an extension cable for the power, so essentially on the stand itself will be a standard plug socket that I plug my tools in too this goes to a fancy Start/Stop switch located on the front of the stand and then that goes to a long cable with a plug on the end to plug into the wall socket for power.... I hope that makes sense.

I can find many of these 'Start/Stop' switches on Ebay ( eBay item number: 263050574972) but these only have two inputs and two outputs, where as here in the UK we have 3 (Live, Neutral and an Earth) would anyone please explain how I can safely wire these ones I specified, or can show me another start/stop switch which includes the three connections I require?

Thanks Mike

·
Administrator
David
5,617 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Mike! When you get a minute go ahead and complete your profile with location so it will show on the left. We won't remember you're in the UK after this post.

I can't help with your question but someone should be along soon to assist.

David

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
you could just make the power extension as described without the switch and use the switch on the equipment you are operating. the amp rating of the extension components should be as high as the load you intend to place on it - likely 20 amp/12 ga wire. or, match the amp rating of the circuit you are plugging into.

if you still want a switch, typically the hot and neutral are the only 2 wires switched in a circuit (when 2 sets of contacts are provided). you actually only need to switch the hot to safely interrupt the power. ground is not switched.

·
where's my table saw?
29,197 Posts
what he said .... ^

When I wire my Safety Stop switches which are double pole for 240 volts, I tie the "earth" or gounds together running a short stub to the chassis and only switch to two "hot" leads, the black wire and the white wire. You could probably do the same, you just need a double pole, double throw switch rated for the voltage and amperage in the UK.

You UK Ebay may one like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/On-Off-Swi...040052&hash=item3624632c22:g:2WMAAOSw2nNZ8lIZ

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
I just use a RCD plug to connect two sheds to the mains. Then sockets in the sheds as needed. Never a problem. Plug your extension lead into mains with an RCD plug available from Scewfix and other suppliers.
johnep

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I have to agree with all the other guys. I have all my tools on mobile bases and some on mobile cabinets and I have 2 15' extension cords and a 25' cord. I just plug the neatest one into the cord from the machine. Of course, I might not understand your question so if I don't let me know.

Welcome to this forum Mike, you will like it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts