Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worked with my pop in his wood shop when I was younger Unfortunately I didn't continue on in his footsteps. Now I have a son of my own and In an attempt to get him away from his video games. I want to do some woodworking with him. Basic stuff, Dog and Bird houses. maybe move up to bigger stuff as we go along. But I would be interested in hearing what a good set up of tools would consist of.

I have basic woodworking knowledge but when it comes to routers and such. I am unsure of what I would need.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
A good, quality table saw with a good mitre guage will do alot. That along with a drill and bits and a decent jig saw should do any of the projects you mentioned. A skil saw would help to chop larger lumber down to size then finish cut on the table saw.

Routers are for decorative edging and unless you think you need to dress up the edges I wouldn't bother until his skill level increases.

It would be a shame to spend alot of money on tools and he not really take to the hobby.

That should get you started. If I can think of anything else that slipped my mind I'll post it later.

·
Registered
151 Posts
When I started to teach my grandson about wood working we went to the hardware store. I helped him pick out a face shield. Now when ever we start on something he always remembers to wear it. He is 12 and likes the jig saw, drill press and the lathe. But I think he could spend all day on the jig saw. The first thing we made was a bird house. I cut all the pieces and helped him put it together. I too would like to see my grandson cut a few more boards and play a lot less video games. Good luck.

Mike

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Welcome jamcojay. Good advice all around. One thing I'll throw out is that when you buy a jigsaw, don't buy a cheapo. A jigsaw is one tool that will make you want to quit woodworking right away if it is a piece of junk.
Your table saw does not need to be a $2000 saw for what you are wanting to do obviously, so you can find Sears contractors saws on the cheap all the time, and with a littlke TLC a used contractor saw is fine for hobby level woodworking. You could even get by with a benchtop saw for most of your projects.
One tool I would add to the mix is a good random orbital sander. It will make your life much easier. Bosch makes a 6" 8 hole that will remove stock pronto and not leave any lines.
I buy all my bosch tools HERE. Great deals on remanufactured stuff that runs and looks like new.
Good luck getting him away from the video trap I commend your efforts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think if i wanted one tool to teach a youngster it would be a decent bandsaw. There are plenty of good used ones around(Jet and Delta 14") for good prices. A tablesaw is important, but pretty scary to start on if your little. I'd say bandsaw first, then the tablesaw

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think this is actually going to go well. We have created a good list of tools based on your input. My son is even excited about building "Brutus" are dog a house.

I appreiate all your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts