Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After trying to sell a piece of equipment on Marketplace and seeing all the rediculous offers as well as the nuts trying to explain how much tools should sell for as they are probably looking to resell it in the city,I've decided to inventory the goodies and leave out the crap.

My daughter and son in law are duyers but If they chose to sell I think it would be wise to give them correct information and them not need ask or come to forum to get crazy answers...

Anybody else covering there bases?

·
The Nut in the Cellar
1,096 Posts
Good food for thought. My shop is full of bench top tools and mid priced hand tools, so I’ve not given much thought to how my descendants will deal with them. Neither my Son nor my Son-In-Law are into woodworking or DIY, so I’m not sure if there is much value of my shop to anyone in the family. My Father-In-Law was a craftsman of great skill, but had inexpensive tools that he created wonderful things with. My three Brothers-In-Law weren’t interested in his tools when he passed. One BIL’s tool set consists of a hammer and some wrenches, so does no woodworking and little DIY. The other two are woodworkers, but their shops are filled with only high end tools and thus had absolutely no interest in Dad’s tools. I took nearly all of Dad’s tools and treasure them all and use them regularly. I doubt the value of my shop is of great interest to most people.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The major stuff is all I'm concerned about. The nails/screws,etc are all in milwaukee or Dewalt carry cases. Over the last year I've been trying to look at hoarding versus value. It's getting better but it's slow....

I was at a tool auction in kansas onetime. A divorce auction. This guy had a huge shop on his property with heated floors. I bought a powermatic bandsaw cheap but there was some high end equipment that went dirt cheap but even dirt cheap was too much for me. $15k pieces of equipment going for 3k...

·
Interested Observer
1,028 Posts
What's an old thing worth? That is the question now isn't it? Who is selling it? You? Or, your family? When they sell it what will the condition be? Pristine? Hard used? Will it have sat for a decade or two? Are you putting an unrealistic value on the tool putting them in a position to reject fair offers out of guilt? Will they sit in an out building with the weather creating problems? Lot more questions than answers to be sure. You are already unhappy with YOUR effort to sell some tool that you are sure is worth more now you want to put that kind of guilt on your family?

Leave them one instruction: Do some due diligence when they sell it and never worry about it again.

Or, you could sell it before you die putting the onus on you instead of them. Then again, you will be dead so any pre=planning you make for them to dispose of your tools will probably be wasted effort.

I know this is a bit blunt, but it is my thoughts on the subject.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
There's no questions with my pot of gold. I know what fair is.

I've got a Delta tablesaw with extension i bought in 2001 brand new. Payed $1600. Been in the acclimated garage sinse day 1. I gotta figure prices on this stuff...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts