Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Here is one of mine. I have a magnetic strip on the wall above this cabinet that holds the tools I use very seldom. The Craftsman cabinet has a stair step sort of shelves around it that I built. I drill holes for the tool to fit. The drawers hold more tools, boring bars, chucks, tool rests and all sorts of other things for the lathe.
I have another cabinet to the left of this one that has my carving tools, odd sanding tools, Hunter woodturning tools, my threaders, chatter tools etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Are you looking for storage behind the lathe (wall) or a cart type?
If on the wall I will take some pics when I go back out to the shop.

·
Banned
139 Posts
I bought these cheap broom holders from Lowe's. They are a pinch fit on a spring system and work great for me, I also added some felt too them so they don't Mar my tools.

I'm going out to the shop tonight and will post some pics for you. I also think I might have enough stuff out there to fill that box we previously talked about. Gotta double check

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you looking for storage behind the lathe (wall) or a cart type?
If on the wall I will take some pics when I go back out to the shop.
To answer your question, I would prefer to hang them on the wall but I am quickly running out of wall space. A rolling cart would not be out of the question.

Alot of great ideas guys....thank you very much for taking the time to share them with me.

Cody, I saw your post. No problem at all. As we discussed, whenever you have the time will be fine.

John, your supposed to be resting...lol.

Dick

·
Super Moderator
5,170 Posts
Rod,
Here's mine. It's three sections held together with piano hinges. It holds my lathe chisels, drill and router bits and a bunch of lathe accessories. It has pegboard on the outsides. Also has casters so it rolls around. Mike Hawkins;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
To answer your question, I would prefer to hang them on the wall but I am quickly running out of wall space.
I have the same problem and here is my solution. A little < 5 feet long and 30" high. Total extension from the wall all closed up is about 14". Cabinet about 5' L x 30"H X 5.5" Deep. The doors offer 16 linerar feet total 30" high; one door 5.5" deep the other 3.5" deep.

Interior picture shows vinyl shade partially down; I pull it down when turning wet wood or finishing.
Under use, nothing over the headstock (left hand side) should be needed so no need to ever reach over a spinning lathe. If the finishes are needed I typically have them sitting on the ways of the lathe anyway. Right side is mostly for sanding supplies.
Anything can be reached with max one step in either direction from the center of the lathe.

I keep adding tweaks like the magnetic pen/pencil strip in the center. Strip for used sanding disc. Gooseneck light.
When I reorganize it a bit, the exterior of the right interior door will be my work station to only hold the 4 -5 tools for the current project (currently holds 11) plus calipers or other items as necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Here is my set up. Only problems are there isn't any place to store my calipers, and face shield. And I already have more tools than it holds. Tool Antique tool Chisel Machine
also as you can see it gets covered in chips, so something with doors would be great.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts