Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a tool chest thread a year ago to get information and ideas for my tool chest design. I hoped maple prices would go down over the winter (that didn’t happen). I advanced the project in stages throughout the summer and finished it near the end of my garage season. It was a challenge for me. I made mistakes and was able to fix or hide them.

The tool chest is 12” x 12” x 22”. The structure and drawers are made of maple and the drawer fronts are from a board I had with nice graining (looks like walnut). Each drawer has a different depth, 1-1/4" - 2-1/4" in 1/4" steps.

I realized my design didn’t include tolerances; I asked for help in another thread here and based on that I went for about a tenth of an inch (which was 3 pieces of laminate). I attached each rail with two screws and my initial setting of the rails was off a bit, I used a caliper to reposition half the screws.

It cost me about half as much as a lower priced Gerstner tool chest. It has wooden slides and Johnson’s Floor Wax makes that work.

Brown Cabinetry Dresser Furniture Drawer

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
5,058 Posts
all in all, it looks fantastic to me !! good job !!

·
Registered
124 Posts
It looks real nice. We are our own worst critics! I know it bugs the heck out of me when I make a mistake. Some of that is my own doing as I'm kind of a design on the fly kind of guy:whistle:

Making mistakes anf fixing them is what it's all about. I would bet if you queried every person on this board they would be able to name several issues and their fixes.

Keep after it. keep making sawdust and completing projects! It's a hobby for us, at least many of us.

Great Job!!

Ken

1 - 3 of 3 Posts