Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 different thoughts for attacking this:
1) Do it all at once using Titebond III for the "extended work time"
2) Glue up each 1/2 separately
3) Glue the red + beige pieces that are horizontally laminated then next day do it all at once.

Thoughts?


(Picture shows 1/2 the table top broken into glue up components and 1/2 shown in final glue up form.)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
I'd definitely do the laminations first. It'll make things a whole lot simpler gluing in 2 dimensions, rather than 3.

Acer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
I would go with number 3. But you dont need to wait untill next day. Titebond allows to continue a work on a peice after 3 hours or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,874 Posts
I think you'd be asking for a nightmare to try it all at once.

If it were me, I'd glue up your horizontal lamination pieces first - clean up and joint the edges if necessary when dry. Then glue up 1/2 of the pieces using cauls to prevent vertical movement and then glue the two halves together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any thoughts on using biscuits? I'd have to clamp a few of the skinny strips to the larger ones and biscuit through several pieces at a time. Never tried anything like that before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
I use biscuits always when I glue a table top. It helps me to spend a less time on alingment of pieces while glue is still wet. Also biscuits help to fix SMALL wraps of a board (sometimes it's hard to find absolutely straight ones). Initially I was pesimistic about it untill I gave a shot. And it worked very well.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
7,222 Posts
I would use sub-assemblies.

If the wood is not already cut, I would have glued the padauk to the bottom species, then ripped it to the widths shown and then added the thinner strips. Fewer small parts to mess around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would use sub-assemblies.

If the wood is not already cut, I would have glued the padauk to the bottom species, then ripped it to the widths shown and then added the thinner strips. Fewer small parts to mess around.
Ya....I kinda jumped the gun. I got in to batch-out mode and, well...the rest is history. Hindsight being what it is and all.:laughing:

Something to take carry with me for the next project!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top