Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to make a peppermill for our club demo next month, so I thought I would turn one this evening to see how much time it took. We only have an hour and a half for demo time. I bought this piece of wood last week at the local Woodcraft store. It was sitting on the closeout table at half price. It was a piece of canary wood, 3" x 3" x 13". It looked pretty shabby, as it was rough sawn and not planed and sealed like you would normally see. It ended up costing me around $10. The peppermill ended up being 12" tall, the camera seems to make everything look shorter. I was surprised to see the maroon streaks. I didn't expect much out of this blank. It just goes to show you don't judge a book by its cover seems to be true.
Mike Hawkins;)

Attachments

·
781 Posts
That is some pretty wood. I have never worked with that before. Wood always surprises me, either more color then I expected, or I start with a blank that look promising, only to find out the colors more muted on the inside. I still need to make one of these! I have all the stuff... just got other stuff on the list.

So how long did this take you?

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kc,
I occasionally buy 1x pieces of canary wood for projects other than turning. The only ones I buy are the ones with the maroon stripes. I save them up until I find something special I want to make.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,374 Posts
Wow, you're definitely right about those maroon stripes. They look fantastic. I really like the top of this one. The shape is great. So, what's the bottom line Mike. Were you able to reach a stage of completion that was suitable for your 1 1/2 hour demonstration or are you going to leave your demonstratees hanging? :laughing:
Ken

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DV and Ken,
I left the time out just to see if anybody asked. I should have known you guys don't miss a trick.
In 55 minutes, from starting out by marking the centers on each end of the blank, I had it drilled and shaped to the point where I just needed to part the top off and finish the very top shape. Installing the hardware takes 5-10 minutes, so I should be able to get everything but the final sanding and finishing done. I usually spend about 10-15 minutes sanding one of these, a few minutes for 4-5 coats of lacquer, and about ten minutes buffing on the beale wheels.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
sawdust maker
560 Posts
I have to make a peppermill for our club demo next month, so I thought I would turn one this evening to see how much time it took. We only have an hour and a half for demo time. I bought this piece of wood last week at the local Woodcraft store. It was sitting on the closeout table at half price. It was a piece of canary wood, 3" x 3" x 13". It looked pretty shabby, as it was rough sawn and not planed and sealed like you would normally see. It ended up costing me around $10. The peppermill ended up being 12" tall, the camera seems to make everything look shorter. I was surprised to see the maroon streaks. I didn't expect much out of this blank. It just goes to show you don't judge a book by its cover seems to be true.
Mike Hawkins;)
dont judge a blank by its roughness

·
Registered
58 Posts
Beautiful work, one day I would like to try my hand at turning a peppermill. I have the hardware laying around the shop somewhere, plus the wood.
BTW, the best thing about canarywood, other than the grain, is the smell when working with it. Always reminds me of Juicy Fruit chewing gum

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Misfire,
You're right, canary wood smell good when machining. I have a tutorial on making a peppermill if you would like. Just send me an email and I'll send it back to you, no charge. It explains everything step by step with pictures of each step.
Mike Hawkins;)
[email protected]

·
Kevin's Boss
69 Posts
Very nice work. Can hardly wait to take a class now. What do you know about Woodcraft's classes? Are they worth it? Any info. would be helpful.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Woody,
I use mostly the stainless grinders from Chef's Specialties, also available from woodcraft, rocklers, etc. I use the ceramic grinder for salt mills.

Mrs. TT,
I imagine the classes are as good as the teacher. Our local woodcraft store puts on the classes and they have gotten good reviews. The owner of our store is a very nice guy and always up on everything he sells. When I first started I got a good book on turning basics. It really helped, but it's hard to beat having someone show you how do things first hand. You can also go to Bill Grumbine's site. He has some good info and video clips on bowl turning. He came to our club a couple of years ago for a pro demo. Very fun to watch and funny too.
Good luck,
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Tonights peppermill

Beautifull piece there Mike.

Mrs TT ,I took a class when I 1st started at my local WC and it was a total waste of a 100.00 bill :censored: so my suggestion is that before you take a class with someone,try an get a little feedback about them just to see what kind of instructer they are.:yes:

·
sawdust maker
560 Posts
do you have woodworking clubs we give lessons to our new members or any of our members maybe you should start one over there just a thought

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very nice Woody,
I belong to a local woodturning club. We do give lessons to the members. It seems like Australia has some of the most beautiful wood in the world. Living there, do you have easy access to it and it the price reasonable? Also, on the peppermill parts, are you able to order online through companies such as Craft Supplies, Woodcraft, Rocklers, etc.?
Mike Hawkins;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts