Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished this today as a fun Christmas project for my sisters kids. It is in the Easy-Build Woodworking magazine, October issue. It's a fast easy project, and actually sounds pretty good even though I didn't tune it. The issue says to make sticks from rubber balls and dowels, but I just bought a cheap pair from the music store. Well worth it.

If jigs and tools were chairs and stools, we'd always have a place to sit.
~Stumpy Nubs

Attachments

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plans came with a pattern to copy and glue to your workpiece. They suggested using a jigsaw with a fine tooth blade to cut it out, but I used my scrollsaw instead. The cuts aren't perfect, but it's my third time scrolling and i'm happy with it.

The materials used are padauk and red oak, just finished with deft spray polyurethane.

These are built as real musical instruments as well. Go to tonguedrum.com to see the real thing. They suggest padauk as it has the best sound quality that they know of. I've also seen YouTube videos with them made from oak, but I didn't like the sound of them.

~Stumpy Nubs

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
Neat project & great video..
Gotta realize that everything needs to be taste tested first...LOL
...Jon...

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha thanks guys. I've never seen one either until this magazine and I had to buy it to make one. I thought his big smile was priceless!

~Stumpy Nubs

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's pretty cool. Nicely done. How about a video of you latin' down some tones. :laughing:
Lol I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

~Stumpy Nubs

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I made one VERY similar to that about 20 years ago, and I tuned it and it really sounded great but after a few years the padauk lost its resilience or something and it just went "thunk". Hope you have better luck. Yours looks nicer than mine did.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I made one VERY similar to that about 20 years ago, and I tuned it and it really sounded great but after a few years the padauk lost its resilience or something and it just went "thunk". Hope you have better luck. Yours looks nicer than mine did.
Thanks phinds. I'm not too concerned about it losing it's tone since I made it as a toy, but that is bad news. I was hoping it would last for a couple generations. I guess only time will tell. Thanks for the heads up.

~Stumpy Nubs

·
Registered
53 Posts
A Lasting Gift

I was hoping it would last for a couple generations. I guess only time will tell. Thanks for the heads up.
That is excellent work, my friend, that, no mater if it stays in tune, will span generations, just watch. Sixteen years ago, Wood Magazine got me out of a bind a week before Christmas. Knocked out 4 small jewelry boxes using simple plans, scraps of cherry, walnut, maple and ipe. The 1 out of ipe I haven’t seen since, but the other 3 are doing well. Two went to my mother and mother-in-law, who have since passed. My wife got the cherry box, and my father-in-law’s new wife got the walnut hand-me-down she now refuses to part with.
IMG_1953.jpg
Since I churned them out as fast as I had to there was no time to finish them the right way. Instead, I rubbed on some oil. So, of course, over time imagine what became of the way they looked. Not a pretty sight. UNTIL I got my new mother-in-law to part with hers for a few days while I put a proper urethane finish on all 3 for the 1st time in 11 years. That was 5 years ago, and look at them now. One day my sons’ better halves will wind up with the ones I made my wife and my mother, or at least that’s the plan. I expect my step mom-in-law’s will be passed on to her daughter. The point is, like you said, 27207, only time will tell what becomes of a lasting gift.
IMG_2993.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts