Woodworking Talk banner

Today's Turning's

8K views 73 replies 20 participants last post by  duncsuss 
#1 ·
This thread is for, well the days turnings. And what ever else may help, inspire or explain any of the various parts of turning, or anything related to other turners.

I don't see the need for any major rules or guidelines, just give a brief explaination and many pictures!:yes:

Feel free to ask questions and get sidetracked! Maybe we'll all learn something.

#2 ·
I'll go first.

Ive been working on this for a few days now. It's made of cherry and walnut with a African Mahogany for the center piece on the lid. It's a Christmas present for my girlfriends grandmother.

The finish is 3 coats of BLO and a light coat of Paste Wax over the top and hand buffed.

Edit: I did'nt want to make a handle so I'll be looking around for a nice brass or glass knob to mount on the lid.

Attachments

#3 ·
A recent turning sent to my brother in the UK.

A wood vase with a glass insert. This picture was without the glass insert.

A lamination of english oak, then jatoba (Brazilian cherry) and US cherry in the middle.

Artifact Vase Table Urn Antique

I have another design almost ready for the pictures after the final coat of finish is applied.

The piece after being received in the UK, put to good use the same day.

Furniture Table Room End table Interior design

#4 ·
Dave Paine said:
A recent turning sent to my brother in the UK. A wood vase with a glass insert. This picture was without the glass insert. A lamination of english oak, then jatoba (Brazilian cherry) and US cherry in the middle. I have another design almost ready for the pictures after the final coat of finish is applied. The piece after being received in the UK, put to good use the same day.
Did you just drill out the center?

Where do you get your glass inserts from? I'd like to try this

#7 ·
been real busy in the shop last couple days, filling orders from my website and just orders localy,

here is a set of handles that will be a kabob skewer set, two tone walnut and cherry with polished copper ferrels..

and a new set of handles i turned for my mini carbide set. this is indian rosewood with some bug activity, sanded and finished with friction polish and paste wax.:yes:

Attachments

#9 ·
Nice bit of playing around.

To keep your thread going, some pieces from last week. Taking advantage of a recent beading tool purchase.

The latest completed vase. Another one on the lathe.

Mahogany (not sure the species) and curly maple.

Vase earthenware Artifact Urn Ceramic

A couple of pizza cutters using Woodcraft kits.

Walnut and curly maple.

Wood Pizza cutter Metal

Jatoba (Brazilian cherry) and curly maple.

Pizza cutter Wood

#10 ·
Dave Paine said:
Nice bit of playing around. To keep your thread going, some pieces from last week. Taking advantage of a recent beading tool purchase. The latest completed vase. Another one on the lathe. Mahogany (not sure the species) and curly maple. A couple of pizza cutters using Woodcraft kits. Walnut and curly maple. Jatoba (Brazilian cherry) and curly maple.
Very nice! I love the look of the curly maple.

#26 ·
I had a fairly good day in the shop. Other than making a bone head mistake today went well.

I've had this cherry and red oak segmented bowl glued up and sitting on a shelf for a while now. I decided to turn it today using the old center mark on the bottom. I didn't check to make sure it was still the center. As you might have guessed,
It wasn't. I cut threw the side in a few spots before calling it quits.

On a better note, I finished up some wiring I've been putzing around with for the last few days. So all in all I'm happy

Attachments

#28 ·
did this one the other day... That's one of the big pluses about turning outrageously punky wood... There's not tension left in the stuff. Turned it down to about 1/4 inch let it sit for a day and then re turned it... This is some spalted river birch... Reminded me a lot of silver maple in terms of the wood color, types of fungi it attracts and the over all way it turns. Bad side of wood this punky is it makes the fuzzy end of 12 inches into a freakin nightmare.

Attachments

#31 ·
Nice duncan! Man I remember that log better than any one since. It was the first time I had ever seen FBE in the flesh and I was just going bonkers telling everyone I met and showing them pictures. glad you got some use out of it man... I learned the lesson of anchor sealing that go round... Like the tea holders:) happy turnin,
Bond

#32 ·
And when I opened the box you sent me, it was the first time I ever saw it too :thumbsup:

In a way it was better that it checked and split -- sure, I'd've been able to make slightly bigger bowl, but I wouldn't have had these pieces left over.

Are the pens I made from it still working the way they should?

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.