Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is my question I got a lot of pacific Yew wood and was going to make some bowls but I read that it can be toxic.Has anyone worked with Yew and do you know if it would be safe for food bowls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,609 Posts
I've turned yew (I made some into this mallet in last year's mallet swap) but I don't know if it's (a) the same as Pacific Yew, or (b) whether Pacific Yew is toxic, or (c) whether the stuff I had is toxic.

Turning it as a spindle was pretty easy, as I recall, a little prone to tearout so I had to be certain I was always "cutting downhill".

If your stock is similar, it might make it tough to do a bowl without lots of sanding on the end-grain portions. Sharp tools, light cuts ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Yew is toxic, i have heard it can be absorbed through the skin, I have turned it, we have irish and english yew here, wear a mask and don't over heat when sanding as it will form hairline cracks, great wood to work with and finishes well. great colours.

Gus
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top