Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and gals I have a question. I purchased arould 400bf of hickory, walnut, and hackberry, and I already had some red oak kiln dried. Most all of the lumber was 1x whatever in width. All wood except the kd oak was stickered and barn dried 2 years. I have built my shelves in my barn for stacking the lumber because I do not have shelf room in my shop, so do I need to sticker this lumber in the barn on the shelves or not.....thanks in advance for your input all steve n tennessee

·
Registered
226 Posts
To prevent mold from growing in the stack I would sticker it. Even the KD stuff especially if you are going to store it for a long time.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I think it's a good idea to sticker the pile. Less chance of mold, better air circulation for more uniform and slightly more rapid air drying.

You might consider moving the stickers every 3-6 months. If the lumber is quite wet to start with, you still might see some mold where the stickers sit for a very long time.
Also, there may be some transfer of wood chemicals between the lumber and the stickers. We see that here from time to time on 5/4 and 6/4 birch, I hear that it's called "sticker shadow."

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Rough, dry lumber doesn't have to be stickered. When you start milling it, use stickers and sticker the pieces every night. You won't see lifts of rough, dry lumber stickered at mills or in larger cabinet shops that buy by the lift. It's often put in barn like storage conditions until it's time to use it. Milling exposes new surface and moisture becomes an issue, the boards have to have breathing room on all surfaces. Always sticker green lumber and keep dry lumber dry. Bugs, mold and fungus grow quickly if wet lumber isn't stickered.

·
where's my table saw?
28,569 Posts
here's what I do

All my Oak, stored outside is stickered, 4 /4 .
All my wood stored inside is stood vertically with a slight lean towards the wall, according to length, shortest on front.
It would depend on your location if mold would develop, in my opinion. And if it does it would also be under the stickers. :boat:

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
There's rough and then there's rough. If anything the texture enhances the surface area for water loss. Milling air-dried wood doesn't expose any wet wood inside if the EMC has settled down to 12-14% anyway.
Consider this puzzle: we have access to (end to end) maybe a mile of 5/6 and 6/4 birch, all about 6" wide and 5-7' lengths. Stacked and stickered up in the mountains for some years. OK? Birch is what I can only call a "sweet" wood, a sugar content approaching some maples. Every last stick, so far, is freckled with mold. I carve right through it so I don't care.

Did I say it's all clear & straight grained, great heart wood and $1.50 per stick?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts