Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious how many paint or stain their projects. For me I do this work and love the beauty of the wood and hate to cover it up. I stain everything I do. What do you do and why? Does it depend on the project, where it will be located, inside or outside?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I'm a wood carver. Depends on the subject and the appearance of the wood.
Ravens are black, they get painted, for outdoor installs, black house paint is good enough.
Some carvings wound up with fantastic grain patterns (the scales in a turtle shell), so those get
3 coats of MinWax Tung Oil Finish = very pleased with the appearance.

I did a Frog Dish, the back dished open as a Lilypad and supported by the frog's 4 feet. The frog got painted plain green, copper inlay for the eyes. The dish part got TOF.
Looking back, I'm doing more and more "partly painted" finishes to show off some of the wood.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I've not done very many painted projects, but then I don't use stain a whole lot either. In most cases I prefer the look of the wood as it shows up without coloring. One notable exception to that would be hard maple, I usually use a dye.m Other than that color enhancing comes from using BLO and whatever look the oil based finishes I use. I do use a lot of shellac, and some of them provide color. I suspect that if I move over to using waterbornes for the top coat, I'll be doing a lot more coloring, but probably not with stains.

·
Rough Sawn Lumber
196 Posts
My current project I am considering painting because the stain turned out sooooo blotchy:(. But typically I always stain or dye to show off the grain pattern. Maybe I should hang out in the Finishing section of this forum:)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Depends upon the project. A lot of my furniture gets painted, just like the furniture stores. I prefer to use maple for painted projects, since maple can be sanded severely smoooth...and takes paint real well!

Some wood like walnut, figured maple, oak and cherry, to name a few would be sacrilege if painted, IMHO!

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
"Generally"....if it gets nailed to the house,it gets painted.If it's freestanding it's stained/cleared.

Obvious exceptions are library's/offices,kitchens.But we do some nice painted "freestanding" furniture too......a few Black lacquer'd Chinoiserie pcs,and some distressed painted pcs as well.

So,beats me?I love architectural "lines"....and they tend to "show" better on painted pcs.Thinking heavy interior cornices(church world).But throw some flaming veneer on "flat",cockbeaded drawer fronts ain't exactly chicken salad?

It would be a boring world if we all liked the same style though?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like the look of the wood, so mainly prefer to use polyurethane. (min. of three coats). since I'm new I have been experamenting with differant stains, I made a bed out of beech and stained it puritan pine and it turned a really nice honey color, tried the same thing with a stand made out of beech and used fruit wood stain....looked like I smeared baby poo on it...:blink: lesson learned.lol I guess at least it didn't smell like it....

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
My current project I am considering painting because the stain turned out sooooo blotchy:(. But typically I always stain or dye to show off the grain pattern. Maybe I should hang out in the Finishing section of this forum:)
if blotchy go here and watch this video of charles neil on blotching

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
I hate using stains or paint, so I don't. I am designing a maple cabinet for my wife that I'm thinking about using a dye on, but haven't read up on it enough to have a decision yet.
I do however really enjoy fuming my QSWO, I love the look of fumed oak!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I like to let the wood speak for it self. I don't stain any project for me, and will rarely use a stain for a client. I don't paint anything I make. My current finish of choice is 100% tung oil followed by several coats of blonde or ultra blonde shellac.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm building a hutch for our kitchen, and bookmatched some panels only to find out my wife is deadset in painting it. She says she doesn't want it looking "woody" which is a super bummer. I finally have her talked into not painting the top which I have some sweet looking material for that. I never get to build anything for myself so it's always what I'm told.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts