Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I made a home made Tormek sharpening jig

As you may know, I nicked a set of my jointer blades today. I couldn't find a pair that suited me so I ordered a new set online to be delivered tomorrow and decided to make a sharpening jig for my Tormek while I waited.

Basically I bolted a 3/4 piece of plywood to a really old Tormek support table I bought years ago, then I mounted 2 full extension drawer slides to that, then another 3/4 ply on top. Lastly, I took a piece of flat iron and drilled 6 hol......Aw f**k-it, just look at the pictures :icon_lol: The second photo was before stropping it. My hands get all nasty while using the strop so I took the pic before.

It turned out GREAT, better than I could have hoped, it even allowed me to put a micro-bevel on the blade. I made it to hold 3 blades but I ended up doing 1 at a time. Now all I need is an 18" planer and I can sharpen one of those suckers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Well done, every bit as good as the Tormek dedicated jig would do, and it didn't cost $150 (or however much they are now).

·
RAM Man
755 Posts
Very nice but why do you want to send new jointer knives to hell?

·
where's my table saw?
28,616 Posts
Your thread title

Oh you misunderstood me. Hell means "Honorary Extra Lacerate Locker"

Right?

Your thread would be more appropriate if you would ask a moderator to delete the BOLD print. There is no need for the use of curse words here, especially in a thread title,.... and I'm no fuddy duddy, I swear with the best of them.....just sayin' :thumbdown:

·
where's my table saw?
28,616 Posts
It ain't about, me dude

Maybe you're a closet fuddy duddy.:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

It's about the forum and how we represent ourselves here.
No need for that sort of language. :no:
Just My Opinion, of course...
Anyone else? :blink:

Reactions: BigJim and tc65

·
where's my table saw?
28,616 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
28,616 Posts
Thanks, but you can't fix it

It's cool dude. I wasn't aiming to offend anyone. I edited it for ya.
It will take a moderator to fix it. I also use "dude" on occasion myself, usually in context and when I intend to offend...just sayin'
No offense taken by me. :no:

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I read through the whole thread and was wondering if we were going to see pictures of the unit actually on the Tormex?

I made a device to sharpen my planer blades and will never have to send them out again.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
where's my table saw?
28,616 Posts
Me too

There's a lot going on in those photos, so it's difficult so see the unit and how it works.
I wonder if the same idea could be used on a belt sander?
http://www.shanewhitlock.com/blog/?p=71

Or a table saw?
Or a router table?
Shaper?

Let's see a photo also Al, or a link if you posted it here. :yes:

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
What does the grinding here? I see the blade bolted to the wood, but I don't get how this results in a sharpened blade. Being ridiculously new to planers and joiners, I would like to know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts