Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, My firs Post here.
I am building a hardwood toy box. Made of quarter sawn oak with some walnut inlay. 36" by 18" by 20" at the base I made a 4" high oak molding. The box has mitered corners so will the molding. Would it be better to laminate the molding to the box so it is part of each side or screw the molding from the inside and plug the holes so the wood movement is independent. I hope this makes sense. I am leaning toward gluing the molding to the box so it becomes one with each side and will move the same.

·
Registered
26,317 Posts
Hi All, My firs Post here.
I am building a hardwood toy box. Made of quarter sawn oak with some walnut inlay. 36" by 18" by 20" at the base I made a 4" high oak molding. The box has mitered corners so will the molding. Would it be better to laminate the molding to the box so it is part of each side or screw the molding from the inside and plug the holes so the wood movement is independent. I hope this makes sense. I am leaning toward gluing the molding to the box so it becomes one with each side and will move the same.
If you are going to glue the box together I would run a spline in the mitered joint and just glue it together. You could also shoot some 18 gauge nails in it to hold it together until the glue dried so you wouldn't have to clamp it. I'm not sure how you plan to make molding. If possible I would just glue and nail it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The box is already together and I will be putting in some walnut splines as soon as I finish that Jig to cut them in. I made the molding on a shaper laying the boards flat, not upright and using 2 separate passes with 2 different cutters it turned out great and there is also a walnut inlay in the molding. all the parts are made, my concern is movement of the box and the molding. If the box expands will it blow the miter corners on the molding. I posted a picture of the box in my photos ill try to get one of the molding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts