Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Had a Craftsman Cabinet RAS with digital readouts etc. for a lot of years, great piece of equipment, unfortunately the motor burnt out and the replacement cost was way up there. Went to a Compound Mitre instead . Do I miss the RAS, sometimes but love the extra space in my small workshop.

The 60' and 70's,CM ras's are the only ones I believe to be the best of the CM saws. A picture of one is below. Recognizable by the rounded motor end. If I didn't find my Red Star, I would be still using the old CM saw.
Ha! I have that very same RAS as I recognize the giant square metal cabinet base. Got it from a retired clockmaker and anything I do won't be in that realm of accuracy. Solid $100 purchase.

Attachments

Our old,but practically new in "mileage" C-man,is on it's last stand(ha).

It's been sitting,naked as a Jaybird on cabinet shop floor for weeks now.....base is gone,table's gone,really pitiful.

Well,it finally got moved to machine shop yesterday.One of two things is going to happen to the 'ole girl.1st up is to see how it'll function as a bandsaw blade,sharpener.Got some high $$ wheels from a friend,going to turn some nice custom arbor plates for it.Then build an appropriate ratcheting vise....well,that's the plan,haha.

IF,that dosen't work...and it really should....it's going to be stripped of it's motor and we're going to attach a torch/plasma cutting head on it and use it in the fabrication shop for basically what the poor thing was designed for in the first place.Mot only cutting plate and whatnot,but can be used for beveling as well.Most likely it'll be mounted on a water filled table.

Sorry for the thread drift....but hey,it is a RAS...they're used to drift,haha.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.