Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an old heavy duty cast iron harbor freight jointer that i cannot find blades for. its a 6 inch jointer and it works very well. blades are a real PITA to set because i dont have the proper tools or pkow how. so what i want to know is, should i buy the dispoz-a-blade kit for it for $239 from EstaUSA or buy the $500 jointer from grizzly. it has a 46 inch table and its also a 6 inch. what do you think? any experiences with the dispoz-a-blade system?

·
Registered
54 Posts
My six inch Delta uses 1/8" thick blades. I have seen generic blades on-line. Is your knife thickness a standard thickness or an odd ball? A machine shop should be able to make knives for you if you knife is solid and even if it has mounting holes they should still be able to do this. Might cost less than a new jointer if you really like your old one. Or this is a great excuse to get a new one.:smile:

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
There are several places to source jointer blades from.....Hartville Tool, Infinity, Holbren, Grizzly, Amazon, Rockler, etc. They'll still be a PITA to set, $240 for an easier knife system is pretty expensive.....it's pushing the cost of a spiral head cutter. You can Google for some different technique alignment ideas for free. :thumbsup:

A new tool is always nice, and it's your choice if that's what you want to do. A jointer is pretty simple....you need a flat infeed and flat outfeed that are coplaner to each other, a 90° fence, and a rotating cutterhead....all of which you currently have with the HF.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
You are going to have to make that call.I will say that we used a craftsman 6 to make a whole lot of money over a 30+ year span.

Doing 95% plain edge work with it.Only recently finding a "longbed" Grizz,8".It's a little nicer,and considering the used price....would buy it again.But,a tuned up 6 for edge work is pretty gauldang efficient.

·
where's my table saw?
29,965 Posts
scotty you've some 'splaining to do

I see the particle board that says "jointer knife setting jig" How so?
First thing that came to mind was there are super magnets right near the cutter head that will hold the blade up the same amount for each slot. Is this the case? If not how's it work?

And what's that other gizmo on the right that looks like a push block with ears? or wings? :blink:

:smile:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Knotscott makes a good point; what about replacing the cutter head on the harbor freight model? If you can find one that fits you could resolve the blade problem without buying a new machine. And if you go to a spiral cutter head, you won't have to set blades ever again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts