Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The white piece is a section of half of a vase turned from a piece of Camphor from the Laurel family the rest of the vase can be seen in the 4 th picture. The red onion is Red Ivory and the black piece is African Black Wood. Please feel free to suggest a name. Finish is shellac mixed with a white powder same as used to colour resin for the white piece and the other two pieces blond shellac.
H 260mm 10 ¼” W 108mm 4 ¼’ C & C as always welcome. Regards Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank Vcooney,Sawdustfactory & cplead comments appreciated. On another forum a chap suggested Wood Turners Flame Of Life which I like but thought Wood Turners Flame Of Friendship sounded nice but do keep the names coming Regards Roger.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
This is another beautiful and artistic piece.

I've never been able to put anything I've turned through the band saw ... maybe when I've turned a couple of hundred more bowls that I'm happy with, I'll feel okay about sacrificing one!

"Red Dwarf/Black Hole" was one thought I had for a name (I've been reading books about the universe and space-time continuum!)

·
Registered
763 Posts
A sure sign of a good piece of art is when individual viewers see different things in it but are all equally moved by it. That's a captivating piece.

I first felt a sense of graceful movement, almost reminiscent of a dancer. Then I thought of something being blown in the wind, yet the"onion" which looks like a flame to me also, doesn't lean as if it's being shielded. "Keeper of the Flame" jumped to mind.

Nice work!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you duncsuss,robert421960 & Bonanza35 comments appreciated. Robert421960 you wont believe but the idea came from the logo on a shampoo bottle. duncsuss cutting up a bowl is sort of a must after awhile just for you to see how far you have come with your turning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts