Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using titebond II on my furniture project and today I was at Lowes looking to buy some more. My question is... Is the titebond III any better? Or stated another way, Is there really any difference between I,II, AND III?

Thanks

·
7,222 Posts
Titebond had a PDF of the differences between the wood working glues, but seems to have been removed from the site.

This is a good comparison.

http://www.cvwa.org/titebondglue.html

Titebond III is the strongest, most water resistant, longest working time.

As mentioned earlier, it dries to a brown colour. Same water cleanup as other Titebond PVA glues.

I switched to Titebond III when this first came out.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The two main differences between TB II and TB III is that TB III is usable to a lower temperature and has a slower set time. TB III is also more waterproof than TB II or TB III. All the TB adhesives are stronger than the wood so there is really no difference in strength.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've used TBII and liked it but I have been only using III recently and it is amazing how strong it is. I usually clamp for about 45 minutes then let cure for 24 hours. It is pretty sticky stuff and I've noticed even after about 5 minutes it has bonded to the point of being hard to re adjust the two pieces. Great stuff.

·
Custom stair builder
241 Posts
I always use the TB II just because I don't need the extra water resistance and it's cheaper. You can get a 5 gallon bucket on Home Depot's website and get free shipping. The best deal I've found.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I always use the TB II just because I don't need the extra water resistance and it's cheaper. You can get a 5 gallon bucket on Home Depot's website and get free shipping. The best deal I've found.
I was just about to purchase new glue and looked into this deal. It seems that the single gallon bottles are a few dollars cheaper per gallon than the five gallon bucket. Or, at least in my area, CA.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't buy too big. They have shelf life.

I forgot a large bottle of Titebond2 for 2 or 3 years in the garage and it turned into a bright transparent/orange jello with strong vinegar smell. Not sure if TB1 or TB3 would do that, too.

·
Registered
614 Posts
i'm in the process of gluing up a workbench top and am burning through glue fast. I hope a gallon is enough :)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Kind of a side note...I run a decent size hardware store... most of the tallk about glue on the forum keys on TB. I use as much elmers as TB but I find that shelf space in the store has followed the forum. It is now about 10 to one TB.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Kind of a side note...I run a decent size hardware store... most of the tallk about glue on the forum keys on TB. I use as much elmers as TB but I find that shelf space in the store has followed the forum. It is now about 10 to one TB.
I don't have any qualms about using Elmer's white or yellow (carpenters glue).

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
>>>> I use as much elmers as TB

For years, my preference has been for the Elmer's Carpenter's and their exterior PVA. I find it less "runny" than TB. But, as you say, it's becoming more difficult to find.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts