Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired of my wooden and mdf sled rails bowing, flexing, etc. Has anyone found any hacks for better rails (without pony-ing up several hundred for bearing rails)? I'm about ready to go buy a pair of I-beam levels and use those.

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
5,572 Posts
Michael - a few years ago, I used the standard steel Bed Rails screwed to a wood frame. That stuff is STOUT. Special tools for cutting and drilling are required - but - a set can be had at most Thrift Stores, GoodWill, Salvation Army, etc for about $10-15.00. (or check your neighborhood on trash days).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried a double lamination of the sides? Glue it up don’t just screw together. Be sure the sides are high enough. Use 3/4 ply.

How long is the sled?
Since I dont have the space, I just have the components of a sled and use my TS top or, for big projects, I take it to the basement and use the workout platform. just clamp our hot glue the pieces in place. I need to find solid rails that are at least 4', preferably 6'.

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
I'm tired of my wooden and mdf sled rails bowing, flexing, etc. Has anyone found any hacks for better rails (without pony-ing up several hundred for bearing rails)? I'm about ready to go buy a pair of I-beam levels and use those.
What are you doing that is placing such a high load on the rails?

gmc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts