Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have acquired literally a truck load of 5/4x6 mahogany decking at a fantastic price.

A customer of mine wants a front porch done with tongue and groove porch flooring so the plan is to machine it in my shop. The framing is just about done so I'm going to attempt to make the t&g this week while waiting on the framing inspection.

I have a jet 3hp cabinet saw and i just purchased the delta heavy duty moulding head and t&g knives from carob cutters today. I also acquired a delta power feed and a set of rockler featherboards today.

I'm thinking I'll build up the fence to around 7-8" high, set the power feed so it pushes towards the fence, and set the feather boards on top keeping the boards tight to the table.

I read that to sharpen the knives all i have to do is rub them on an oil stone. I will need to make about 600 linear feet. Should I get spare knives ? Do you think it's reasonable to make the entire cut in one pass ? Mahogany is pretty hard wood.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A mahogany porch does sound extravagant but it would look amazing. Because of my other experience with molding head cutters and hard woods I ended up making a minimum of 2 passes. Otherwise it gets some splintering. At least this was my experience with it. I have never done any thing that large scale with mahogany tho. And my cutter is a single blade.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Guess you're not a porch/deck builder and clearly don't live in a historic area. Mahogany is outstanding for exterior wood. Much better than pressure treated or even doug fir t&g. Throw some Cabbots Aussie oil on it and it glistens, plus its good for 3-5 years depending on sun exposure. Which in this case, is non existent.

The head i picked up is a three knife set up. I have never done anything like this myself but I couldn't pass up the deal. It was too cheap. I have a belsaw moulder that I can get knives for but the delta knives are way cheaper.

And speaking of mahogany, its way cheaper than the PVC knock off wood flooring and I can make custom railings that wont be a different color once machined. This thing will be a piano when its done. Ill post some pics.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I dialed everything in last night and ran two groove boards through on one pass each. It was very smooth and precise. This power feed I acquired is sweet. Question is now, will the tongue cutters do the same. Ill find out in a couple hours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts