Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum. Right in the middle of a project my 40 yr old craftsman saw's motor burnt up. I will try to find a replacement motor. In the meantime I am searching the crap out of craigslist for a cabinet saw. This will be the last saw I buy. My only restriction in my shop is that it is fed by a 100 amp sub panel. I need to keep the motor 3 hp or less. I have been looking at the new grizzly hybrid saw. I have a couple of e-mails out for used Unisaws. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions please let me know. Thanks for your help

RPK

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
If you've got the budget and the proper electrical requirements, I'd definitely go with a 3hp industrial cabinet saw vs a hybrid. A hybrid will do fine if limited by electrical or budget, but there's a significant difference in how their built for not a ton more money.

p.s. I've got a couple of American made Craftsman TS motors if you're interested. Both in nice shape and run as they should. One is 1hp reversible, the other is 1.5hp. $110 shipped within the lower 48 for either one.

000_1578.jpg 000_1579.jpg 1hp motor.JPG

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
Yah, I hear Ya

If I buy new, their hybrid saw will top of the list.
Thanks RPK
Look it it this way however, say the Hybrid is $895 shipped, the G01023Rl is $1338 shipped. The difference is $443. Over 5 years that's $100 per year. over 10 years it's $43 per year. Worth it? Yes, in my view for the "last saw" you want to buy. :yes:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum. Right in the middle of a project my 40 yr old craftsman saw's motor burnt up. I will try to find a replacement motor. In the meantime I am searching the crap out of craigslist for a cabinet saw. This will be the last saw I buy. My only restriction in my shop is that it is fed by a 100 amp sub panel. I need to keep the motor 3 hp or less. I have been looking at the new grizzly hybrid saw. I have a couple of e-mails out for used Unisaws. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions please let me know. Thanks for your help
RPK
You should give us an idea of your location. Someone might have, or, know of a motor or saw available. I happen to have both.
I would rather have a used Unisaw, than a new Hybrid import.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
You say this is the last saw your ever gonna buy but put the G0715P at the top of your list. If thats the saw you buy, Ill gaurantee its not going to be the last one you ever buy. I said the same thing when I bought mine and I dont have it anymore. In my opinion, if you cant afford a 1023 right now, buy one of those motors from knottscott and fix your C-Man saw untill you can afford the cabinet saw. The G0715P isnt a "lifetime" saw. Heres my issues... http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/grizzly-g0715p-trouble-36396/

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I have the G1023SLX, 3HP, 1ph., 52" max cut width, CI wing with router hole. I think after I'm long gone someone will enjoy using this saw for many years to come.

Breth

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for all that info. A new hybrid saw is out. I am going to focus on a used Unisaw. I am waiting on an e-mail now.

Knottscott, Great deal on a motor. I will be getting back to you. This would put my old saw back to use and give it better resale value without spending a ton of money.

I live in Eastern CT. near the RI border. If anyone knows of any saws local me I would be interested.

Thanks again for all your help

RPK

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Bass I read you grizzly thread. What saw are you using now?
Well, Im not right now. Since I started turning, I havnt done much flat work at all and when I do, I use my circular saw and a guide which is a pain if you ask me and my CMS. I did purchase an old Emerson made Craftsman saw that Im restoring over the winter. I plan to do a full restore on it so it should last me for many years to come. If I ever get serious about buying a new saw again, Ill be getting a 1023.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone have opinion on the Sawstop brand . I am looking at the CNS175 TGP36 . I have an old crafman that is about seen its day .

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Anyone have opinion on the Sawstop brand . I am looking at the CNS175 TGP36 . I have an old crafman that is about seen its day .
probably one of the best made TSs today @ ~$3-4K.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts