Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone car to post pictures of, quick to make, useful gifts. For that, "oh! we forgot a present for (insert name)

Here is oven rack, push, puller. People seem to like them. My wife has sold some, when she does a jewelry show.

Takes about 10 - 15 minutes to band saw, sand on spindle/belt sander, drill hole for eye, and spray with finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well I don't know what you might think of this but signs are fairly fast to make if you have a sign making kit. I can bang one out in about an hour using the Milescraft kit and a plunge router. Route the edges to give it a little zing. Flip it over and route keyhole slots to hang it with. Add stain, paint for the letters, that's another hour or so, and after the stain dries then I spray coat it with clear spray paint for outdoor use. Cheap and fast. Here's one I made to hang over my basement shop door. This one was made from a regular 2x8, first leaving it long to screw down the lettering kit, then when finished it's cut to final length, removing the screw holes from the sign kit attachment and leaving a clean sign. Finish routing, then finish the wood. In an afternoon I can go from blank board to finished sign, depending on how long the stain takes to dry. I use craft paint for the letters and it dries fast.

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Here's another idea along that same line but without a sign kit. This is a gift I made for mom this year. I did buy the measuring spoons, but I used a simple 1x6 oak board to cut the plaque to size, routed the edges on the router table, routed keyhole hanging slots in the back, predrilled holes for cup hooks, stained it, painted the design, and finished with spray polyurethane. Then screwed in the cup hooks to hold the spoons.

This doesn't have to just be for spoons. It could be done to make a place to hang car keys, or coffee mugs, or coats, or any number of things. Making the plaque took about 2 hours since I was winging it and designing as I went, I had no prior ideas for what I wanted. Then I took about two more hours fiddling with the paints since I'm not a painter, but I'm happy with the results. Total was about 4 hours going from a raw board to finished, not counting dry time for the polyurethane overnight.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
I made a few similar candle holders. I found glass tea light holders at Target for $. 99 each and used a forstner bit on the DP to recess them in some walnut scrap chunks. Super easy, but everyone is very impressed.
(Attaching images from my phone for the first time, hope this works...)

Wood Metal

Mason jar Glass Tableware

Green Product Glass Fashion accessory

·
Registered
220 Posts
Everyone at the office loved these little pen holders. Layers of red oak and poplar, DP holes, a little finishing with the router, and a couple quick coats of SealCoat. Added a nice Parker Jotter pen ($7) in a gift bag.

Wood Hardwood Brick Wood stain woodworking

1 - 8 of 8 Posts