Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm staining a couple of 15 year old unfinished oak dressers that I got as a kid...

I used minwax wood conditioner and stain and being the impatient person I am, I want to get started on the second coat. How long should I wait between coats, fully dry, somewhat taxky? It's still a little tacky last time I went out to make sure everything in the garage is still there lol

also, what is the best finish coat to use on minwax oil based stain? I'm a complete novice and dont want to have TOO much hassle?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
First, did you follow the directions on the stain and apply, let set for 15-20 minutes and then wipe off all the excess? If you did not thoroughly wipe off the excess, the stain and any top coat will not dry properly.

When you say "second coat" are you referring to a second coat of stain or a second coat of your clear coat? As another point, you did not need to apply a pre-stain conditioner to an oak surface. Oak is a wood that stains very evenly unlike pine and some other hardwoods.

As to your question, do not apply any more finish until the applied finish is no longer tacky.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i wiped off the excess and the second coat i was referring to was stain. I managed to leave it alone overnight and am going to check on it as soon as I finish this post.

The reason for the pre stain conditioner was based on the recommendation of the guy at the rockler store near me. Cant hurt either way i guess, right?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes it gives the good finishing if you wait till it dry completely. Finishing should be done effectively otherwise it looks awkward. Thanks for the nice post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts