Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My name is Jerry (from Great Falls, MT) and this is my first post. I recently purchased some wood that I was told was Tigerwood, and according to a book the store has, it said the wood glues well. My friend glued the pieces together (friend has 45 years experience as carpenter, first time using this wood) for a table top. I noticed seperation of two of the pieces on one end when I started to apply Sam Maloof finish. I used some filler and was satisfied with result. I have given the top 4 coats of the oil finish and when I was applying the third coat of the oil/wax finish tonight, I noticed seperation taking place on the other end of the table top. This seperation is not with the initial two boards. My friend is pretty sure the glue is good and he used enough. I really like the look of the wood but I would like to know if anyone has used tigerwood on a project before and if there are some tips to using the wood without the laminated boards seperating. Can temperature be a factor? Any information is appreciated. Jerry

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Can temperature be a factor? Any information is appreciated. Jerry
I would lean more towards moisture. If it is the imported hardwood I am thinking of, it would have had to be kiln dried (?). Wood can still "pick up" moisture from it's environment even after it is dry. My only guess it was assembled in a place with high humidity and you have it/are finishing it in low humidity.

Got a picture?

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Welcome Jerry. I used Tigerwood before in Humidors. Only twice to my recollection. i don't reall any seperation at the glue lines. i think you are referring to edge joined boards not lamination?

Both humidors were commissioned pieces so I was not able to observe them in service. It's possible I can track one of them down because one of the men who ordered it from me ws a friend of a man whom had purchased a Walnut humidor from me, and I think he is still around here.

I still have some small pieces of the wood left. I don't recall any problems with the wood except that i had some tearout when planing. That could have been dull knives though.

I hate to state the obvious but seperation in edge joined boards are usually because of inconsistent glue spreading or they were not straight lined perfectly and when they dry firther the low spots in the edge will seperate. At least that has been my experience.

This sounds like an issue that is going to get worse to me. If so, can you remove the top, rip the joints apart, and start over? If you can, do as Daren suggests and find out what the MC is in the wood.

I am not an expert on Tigerwood by any means, but as I recall that wood has alot of oil? You can check that out easy enough with some online research.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts