Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why when I sand this stuff it seems to open up deep pours in the wood? What am I doing wrong? Any advice would help. Paper grit, technigue etc.

·
puffessional Scrabbleist
155 Posts
rose wouldn't

At a local discount lumber yard they offer a selection of odd "exotics" and I've seen it in there. I don't know what type wood it was originally but a lot of it appears to be similar to the plastic decking sold at Home Despots. If so it gave me nose problems if breathed in. I think one clerk told me something about it being basically "manufactured wood" but I wasn't really listening. He was working at McDonald's a few weeks before so he had little credibility.

The ones here have odd names, like "Tiger Rosewood" that mix up a few other names for clout. I think I remember buying and trying a Purple Zebrawood. They were all out of SnakeOil Wood.

It could be one of those?

TonyM

·
Registered
404 Posts
Me thinks it's a rosewood with a tiger Grain pattern? Ie tiger maple. Gum cherry,Some rosewoods can have a heavy dark and light appearance in the same board.

·
7,222 Posts
Thanks for the picture.

I am not sure of the species, but the surface looks rough from tearout when planed.

It need more planing to remove the tearout before you continue sanding.

This will tear out when planed in one direction but not in the other. You will need to take a light pass to find out which direction this likes to be planed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea i bought this way. I don't have a planer yet. So should I keep sanding? Will it eventually smooth out

·
7,222 Posts
Yea i bought this way. I don't have a planer yet. So should I keep sanding? Will it eventually smooth out
I think whomever planed this took passes which were too deep and without considering the tearout. Sad to waste so much nice wood.

In theory it is possible to sand away all the tearout, but it would take a LOOONNNNNGGGGGG time and likely to result in a wavy / ridged surface.

Do you have any hand bench planes?

·
puffessional Scrabbleist
155 Posts
wood

Definitely not what I proposed. This is definitely real wood and I agree with the rosewood label. I had a piece of kingwood (?) once that had similar color but different grain. Thanks for posting the pic. You're headed towards a gorgeous end result.

TonyM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts