Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Third bowls a charm

I seemed to have gotten the hang of a lot of things with this bowl. I am pretty pleased with it. I believe it is maple. I had a post trying to ID it a couple of months ago.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f26/wood-score-id-help-48288/

I don't think the pictures do it justice and it's soo smooth! Still need to work on my wood signing skills though. Finish is GF Wood Turners Finish.

Bowl Wood Sink Table Tableware
Bowl Hand Ceramic Flowerpot Wood
Egg Food

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice. I absolutely love turning bowls! My favorite part is seeing the character of the wood come out.
Yeah, I may be getting addicted. I have a lot of this wood and can't wait to see how the next one turns out.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Nice bowl-- can't tell it's just the 3rd.
If you feel the vortex pulling a little, don't fight it-- lol,
No Maple around here so mine are from Mesquite, Oak, Pecan, Hackberry, Huisache, and others that grow around here.
Dave H

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I attend my local turning club last Saturday and got 2nd place in the beginners category! Here's the picture that they took which is posted on their website. What a difference camera quality and lighting makes.

Bowl Wood earthenware Ceramic Tableware

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Congratulations!

Here's the picture that they took which is posted on their website. What a difference camera quality and lighting makes.
Sufficient light makes a huge difference. Nearly every camera made in the last 10 years has more than enough quality to take a picture good enough to display on a computer monitor.

One other big diiference -- notice what isn't in their picture? Answer: "everything except the bowl!"

You can make a plain gray background very easily, just use a sheet of construction paper bent around in a smooth curve from a wall to a table top. Tape both ends, and set your bowl just far enough back that the front edge doesn't appear in your photo.

·
Super Moderator
5,164 Posts
Nice job Rob,
glad to hear you have a local club to belong to. Bowls seem like they should be a simple project, but in reality, they are very difficult to turn properly. What I try to shoot for each time is a pleasing shape, and then, try to get a good final cut so I don't have to sand a bunch of tearout, especially on the inside. That's where the difficulty comes in. Keep it up, turn some more,
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice job Rob,
glad to hear you have a local club to belong to. Bowls seem like they should be a simple project, but in reality, they are very difficult to turn properly. What I try to shoot for each time is a pleasing shape, and then, try to get a good final cut so I don't have to sand a bunch of tearout, especially on the inside. That's where the difficulty comes in. Keep it up, turn some more,
Mike Hawkins;)
Mike, trying to achieve the final cut was the most frustrating to me. That's what I'll be focusing on in my next bowls to come.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts