Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
John
3,028 Posts
I wonder if anyone own these bench cookies and if they are worth it?

------
http://woodworking-videos.com/
Videos to fill your wooden soul.
Hi - yeah, I've got a couple of sets. IMHO kinda spendy for what you get and anything you set on them has to be dead flat or they don't hold very well. I like the cam board a lot better.

Reactions: woodworking-videos

·
Super Moderator
5,116 Posts
I have a set of the originals. I bought them on sale for 9.99 if I remember right. I think they come in pretty handy when you're routing a board or sanding, etc. I haven't had any trouble with wood sliding on it. They are nicely made. You could also use them for a drink coaster if you want.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
master sawdust maker
437 Posts
I use mine for props under tables and chairs on the bench when I need to level out the legs. It gives you an extra uniform inch or so under each leg that you know is exactly the same on all 4. Then shim the short leg. and mark your line and trim away.

Oh and paper weights and drink coasters.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I have 8 of the Bench Dog cookies.

I use them to elevate a workpiece off the bench or lumber stack when using my CS.

Also when routing profiles and when sanding to keep the work piece from sliding around.

If you stack them at a proper height you can use them to elevate a workpiece when jigsawing on your bench.

Very handy!

Buy them on sale or make your own.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I bought some from Rockler and never use them. Since I built my t-track workbench, I don't need any... especially to elevate my work to rout, drill or cut...

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
I own a set from Bench Dog, use them for finishing. I was having issues with my work sliding on the painters triangles.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
received 2 sets as a gift. seldom use them. i'd never pay for them myself.

·
Registered
611 Posts
BernieL said:
I bought some from Rockler and never use them. Since I built my t-track workbench, I don't need any... especially to elevate my work to rout, drill or cut...
Wow, that's pretty cool.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
I have two sets that I bought a couple of years ago. One set wasn't enough to stabilize odd shaped parts very well. Or it felt that way at least. I got them on sale for $9.99/set (included the wall hanger/holder).

I use them sometimes when using a handheld router (though, more and more, I'm using my cheapie router table instead) and sometimes when sanding with handheld electric sanders. I find that I use them less than I thought I might.

I have 4 from Lee Valley, who call them what they are - hockey pucks with MOUSE pads to prevent the wood from sliding. Inexpensive.
I added the bolded "mouse".

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
You could also use them for a drink coaster if you want.
Mike Hawkins;)
FINALLY, there is a use for the bench cookies!

I bought a set when they first came out. What can I say? Underwhelming?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
BernieL said:
ShopNotes has just purchased the rights to publish the bench or ideas from the whole bench. I'm very excited to see my idea in an up coming publication.
Fantastic Bernie!

Now I can point to the article and say " that's right uh huh, I know that guy".

Congrats!

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
ShopNotes has just purchased the rights to publish the bench or ideas from the whole bench. I'm very excited to see my idea in an up coming publication.
That's cool, Bernie. :thumbsup: I'm waiting on a check from them as well.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
My wife bought a set of four from Rocklers as stocking stuffers. I have used them, so they are not totally useless.
My son likes to use them under his laptop, so now they're laptop pucks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts