Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine saw these tables at his buddies place and asked if I could make him a set.

Furniture Table Coffee table Plywood Chair

Table Triangle Furniture Wood Triangle

I first milled some cherry, glued it and then cut the 60 degree triangles.

Wood Table Hardwood Plywood Floor

Next I cut some walnut for the borders and attached it to the triangles. I used biscuits just to help reinforce the long grain to end grain feature. Clamping had to be done by wedges...clamps don't hold 60 degree corners very well.

Table Wood Furniture Hardwood Plywood

Next it was time to turn the legs. I made a simple template that had cut-outs for the tenon, top, middle and bottom diameters as well as a notch to indicate the middle point. Just parted down to the diameters and blended from point to point for a nice even taper.

Wood

Radiator Wood Table Floor

Next was cutting the final shape of the tops. I cut a template in 1/4" MDF. I was going to use a flush cut router bit but ended up getting some tear out. So I cut them at the bandsaw and finished them at the oscillating belt sander.

Wood Table Plywood Triangle

Next I layed out the legs, drilled the mortise and dry fit everything.

Table Wood Furniture Hardwood

Clamped them up.

Wood Toolroom Hardwood Machine Flooring

Sanded to 220, applied 2 coats of blonde shellac, sanded with 320, sprayed with 5 coats of semi gloss lacquer, wet sanded to 1200 grit with paraffin oil lube and finished with a nice buffing of Renaissance wax.

Wood Table Plywood Wood stain Hardwood

Wood Table Furniture Hardwood Plywood

Thanks for looking and enjoy.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's how I layed out the curve.

Table Wood Plywood Circle

And the template.

Triangle Cone

All the joinery of the stock was done by hand including flattening the first face. Did use a planer to ensure even thickness.

The center panels are 17" on edge. The walnut is 2.25" at the widest point. Total 16.5" tall.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's called a fairing stick. Very simple to make. Just a thin strip of hardwood, a small piece for the toggle and some string. Tie the string to one end of the stick, thread through 2 holes in toggle, thread through opposite end of stick and tie back to toggle. You can make these any size you need to get whatever size curve you need. Here's a pic of the threaded toggle. Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

One side

Wood Hardwood

The other side

Pink Wood Bookmark Finger Paper

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
It's called a fairing stick. Very simple to make. Just a thin strip of hardwood, a small piece for the toggle and some string. Tie the string to one end of the stick, thread through 2 holes in toggle, thread through opposite end of stick and tie back to toggle. You can make these any size you need to get whatever size curve you need. Here's a pic of the threaded toggle. Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

One side

View attachment 88649

The other side

View attachment 88650

Thanks much!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts