Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
7,222 Posts
I have a Doug Thompson 5/8in spindle gouge which is likely the same bar stock as the one you are looking at with a different grind.

I also have a Doug Thompson 5/8in 15V bowl gouge.

I love these tools.

Any time I have seen a reference to a Doug Thompson tool, it has been very positive. I think you will also be happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have their 1/2" bowl gouge and am very happy with it. When I need this one gets ground down I will buy another. Nice quality tools.

·
Registered
95 Posts
There are a few tool makers who provide similar quality, but none match the bang for buck you get with Doug's tools. Not only are they tops for quality, but the price point is superb!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I'm considering buying a 5/8" Thompson detail gouge.

http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/tool.asp?ID=5618

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these tools, or this tool in particular. I'm looking for a large-ish gouge for big curves.
Can't help with that specific tool, but I have a Thompson bowl gouge (which I love), and a shallow detail gouge (which I love for making sharp V cuts on spindles and the entry cut when I'm hollowing bowls).

Nothing but good things to say about the tool quality and Doug's service.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I have the 1/2" and 3/8" detail gouge. I love them but not necessarily for fairing large curves. For that purpose I prefer either the skew or a wide flat spindle gouge.
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer...duct_Code=100192&Category_Code=tools-pkrd-gsg
I prefer a gouge like this although I grind it to a much more acute edge than they show in the photo. Mine are usually ground to about 35 degrees but 45 isn't bad for newer turners. I find the wider flatter tool is easier to control on long curves. The detail gouges are really great for coves and most other turning.

·
Super Moderator
5,116 Posts
Doug's a member of our turning club. He does make some of the best tools out there and also stands behind them. Jimmy Clewes had a bunch of Doug's tools when he was at our club in September doing some demos. He spoke very highly of them, which was nice to hear. Plus you get to make a nice custom handle for each one. I have 6 or 7 of Doug's tools, have to count them to be sure.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I also own some Thompson gouges along with some P&N and Sorby. I find all of these are very good tools and none don't seem to be any better than the other,IMO. It does seem that The P&N is the best value for the money and I bought them from Packard Woodworks. All of these brands hold their edges very nicely. Good luck with your choices.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts