Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's late at night, and you're on your way up to bed. The lights are off and you are guiding yourself by way of cellphone light, when all of a sudden, it feels as though you've stepped on a bear trap!

If you have children with small toys that are scattered over the floor in every room of your house, you will understand the importance of this build.

I will do my best to keep this brief, however I have loads more photos and will be happy to answer any questions.

We're off... 3/4" birch ply for the sides and walnut for the edging.
pre glue up.jpg

My new (and much more effective) method of flush trimming edging.
trimming sides 3.jpg

Legs are 1x poplar glued and screwed, and will have a slight taper at the bottom.
Ripping legs 2.jpg

Tapering:
tapering legs 4.jpg tapering legs 5.jpg

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I cut some plugs out of walnut to cover the screws in the legs.
walnut plugs 6.jpg

Then trimmed them close to flush and finished with the ROS.
legs plugged 8.jpg

Mitered all the corners, and shot a couple of 23ga. pin nails top and bottom to hold it together during the glue up.
sides glue up 7.jpg

I attached the legs, and my little man came out to give it the initial test.
attaching legs 9.jpg Bryce testing 10.jpg

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To strengthen the corners (and step out of my comfort zone) I decided to make a jig, and route slots for dovetail keys.
DT jig 11.jpg Jig attached 12.jpg

The tests went perfectly and after routing all my slots, I set up the router in my TS wing and ran some walnut through to cut all the keys from.
DT slots 13.jpg DT keys cut 14.jpg

I have a lot more pictures of this process that I can share upon request.

After the glue dried, I planed the keys as close to flush as possible, and finished with the ROS.
keys planed flush 15.jpg

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A shot of the keys sanded flush.
keys sanded flush 16.jpg

To make sure EVERYONE knew who this table belonged to, I scrolled his name out of some walnut (shock, I know) and glued it to the front.
scrolled name 17.jpg

Here she is with 4 coats of gloss urethane that I applied with a rag after thinning it with mineral spirits.
final coat 18.jpg

I put two coats of Valspar "chalkboard" paint on the top, and wrote a message for him..... that he can't read since he's only 2.
finished 19.jpg

I started this table on 2/1 and finished assembling it last night 2/9. For only 2 half days and every evening last week, I was shocked as to how quickly this thing went together!

Thanks for reading,

Sean

·
Registered
834 Posts
Projects like that are the ones we work the hardest on. Well done!

Reactions: captainawesome

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Very nice indeed. :thumbsup: (However, I'm betting you still end up stepping on toys, especially those mischievous Legos that suddenly appear in the middle of the night on the way to the bathroom. :laughing:)

How are the legs attached?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Awesome table!

I'll likely be building a similar table for my son later this year, and you've given me some great ideas with yours!

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
We have one simple rule (of many) in our house. Before bed, the kids put all their toys away. Nothing stays on the floor unless it's up against a wall out of normal traffic areas. I've never stepped on a toy in 18 years of having kids.

That said, you have done a very nice job and built a sweet table that your son will love and also help with the bear trap issue.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice indeed. :thumbsup: (However, I'm betting you still end up stepping on toys, especially those mischievous Legos that suddenly appear in the middle of the night on the way to the bathroom. :laughing:)

How are the legs attached?
Johnnie, the legs are attached with three screws from the inside of both leg parts (8 total if that makes sense). Each piece is about 3 7/8" wide, and I was a little concerned about wood movement which is why I didn't glue them in place as well. I think I need to go back and slot the outside screw holes to allow it to move.

What are your thoughts?

The table looks great. What did it have to do with stepping on something in the dark?

George
George, I don't think a day has gone by since he got all of the train stuff for Christmas that I haven't stepped on a train or part of a track on my way up to bed at night. I'm sure next week he'll be leaving some other toy all over the floor for me to kick in the dark.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you gentlemen for all of your kind words. I'm sure there is something in this project that I picked up from one of y'alls threads, so thank you for that as well.

I brought the table in last night and he LOVED it!
bryce.jpg

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Johnnie, the legs are attached with three screws from the inside of both leg parts (8 total if that makes sense). Each piece is about 3 7/8" wide, and I was a little concerned about wood movement which is why I didn't glue them in place as well. I think I need to go back and slot the outside screw holes to allow it to move.

What are your thoughts?
8 leg parts with 3 screws each equals 24 screws. I think you have got it covered pretty well. Unless he takes to climbing all over it, I would not worry too much about movement or the legs coming loose. I might just drill it and glue in 2 contrasting dowels between the screws on each leg part, but that would only be for looks at this point. IMO its plenty strong the way it is.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Fantastic table! Sturdy design, like those awesome joints and legs. Attractive wood combo including the walnut plugs. Great idea on the chalkboard top. I can see that he loves it and by the time he's big enough, he'll never forget that daddy made it specially for him.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What an awesome build! I have three sons - 6, 4 and 2 and I can totally appreciate wanting to build something nice that will last for them. My oldest wants a desk though I'm too much of a novice for that at present. I am working up to it though!

Great job!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts