Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
grunt tubes.The season is getting close and folks are starting to buy a few so I will be making some of these. This one is a piece of highly figured crotch walnut. Finish is clear stain and Deft lacquer buffed to 4000 grit.

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Ghost5.....I was almost over my old addiction..a few more days and I'd been there...NOW I'll have to get through another 3 seasons..Bow , muz, gun/pistol before trying AGAIN!!! LOL
Awesome grunt!!! Does cherry or pecan crotch work good???? Any part/or type of tree you want to try??? Send PM.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Nice looking call I like the all wood approach, I am thinking of making some similar to get rid of the black plastic tube which detracts from the wood. That is really nice wood I think a photo never really shows all of the beauty of the wood.

By the way you posted sometime ago about a disappointing week-end for a show. Well this week-end I went to a gun show to sell my wares. Friday and Saturday combined 13 hours only sold 9 items, on Sunday 6 hours sold 12 items, only difference was it rained on Sunday. Our shows are held indoors and to have a successful show the weather needs to be inclement. Up here in the UP of Michigan people come out in the worst of weather conditions, they can't stay home and work on the "honey do list".

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a mechanism inside to help produce the grunting sound?
Yes there is a set of guts inside which is adjustable from doe/fawn to mature buck.

Tim, Cherry and pecan work fine. Any hardwood will work I stay away from cedar since it is so soft. I might have to come by you mill sometime you aren't that far away.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That is a beaut! I bet it feels nice in the hand!
Does crotch turn differently than straight grain structured wood? Do you have to use other techniques with this type of grain or does it cut the same?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a beaut! I bet it feels nice in the hand!
Does crotch turn differently than straight grain structured wood? Do you have to use other techniques with this type of grain or does it cut the same?
It turns the same just has really cool grain running through it. Great that turners want it but the tree cutters leave it laying. I just got a box full of highly figured walnut crotch in this week. Still wet but when it is dry I will get some beautiful calls out of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts