Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I milled some more of that ugly red stuff. Have I mentioned I don't like my camera? Well, I just milled some of the best looking stuff ever, especially the back & side sets for my luthiers, but I'm not going to show them to you. That's what I meant by this isn't fair.

·
Senior Something
1,126 Posts
Pure torture! I'd be happy to take some photos of it and post them for you. Just send it my way:yes:. I wonder how many offers like that you'll get.

·
OLD DUDE AT WORK
1,460 Posts
That's some kind of ugly stuff you have there. It's only right that you should ship me a few hundred pounds of that for future review. I'll take the pics, free of charge.;)

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like I might not get to it. I actually did take a few pics last night and even though they turned out like scata I'll post them anyway. No pics - it didn't happen ya know.

Flesh Muscle Nerve Human anatomy

Muscle Arm Flesh Joint Human body

Skin Flesh Muscle Organ Shoulder

Muscle Flesh Tattoo

This song was playing on my YT playlist when I came into the shop so I figured someone might like to hear a great old classic.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
TexasTimbers said:
It's in pieces. Remember the opening scene from The Patriot?

Yup, where was Mel Gibson born?
Maybe that's why I steer away from chairs :)

TexasTimbers said:
This song was playing on my YT playlist when I came into the shop so I figured someone might like to hear a great old classic.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st80MOVoi4M

Uh oh, TT your great old classics are 100 years newer than mine. Lol

Beautiful slabs you have there.

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
MAN, You got BLESSED:eek:, The flames are so AWESOME. Never seen that before.

To the Lord are all my Praises sent :notworthy:. TT He really Filled that cup for you there.

Have a Blessed weekend,
Tim

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How well does it hold the red color?
Many years with proper care. For turnings you can rechuck it years laters and take a 1/16" or so off and now it's red again. For flat work you'd have to sand it or just make another. However for something you want to stay red for generations, you can have the wood chemically stabilized and it will never fade so they say.

Are you sure you did'nt use crayons for that color?:no::yes:
I never seen crayons that bright! :no:

What am I looking at? Because it's freaking gorgeous!
Acer Negundo; Flame Boxelder a.k.a. Flame Box Elder; Red River Maple; Manitoba Maple and it has several other names.

Man, that is the prettiest I have seen. Does flaming box elder grow in Tennessee?
:yes: I've never heard of a whole tract of iot like this but I bet there's one out there somewhere.

Those side sets look real nice.:thumbsup: Do you have some pictures of the back sets to those?
I cut a buynch of thins that the sets will come out of, I'll snap some pics for ya today unless I forget.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have been meaning to ask you about the color issue on the box elder you partly answered my question about color retention. What type of chemicals are needed to keep it bright red. Up here in Wi we get them from time to time. Being as they are much rarer up here I would like to teach/share with my customers and fellow woodworkers how to keep the color. Any idea on the safety or expense of the chemical treatment?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts